Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boer War Era Pith Helmet

I have the opportunity to buy this helmet. Description from the seller:
    "Khaki Combat Foreign Service Helmet is named to A.C Tyler of the Welch Regiment. This regiment was posted to the Sudan in the 1890's. The helmet is missing its original Helmet flash, but original N. Stafford flash supplied as a substitute. Flash is not stitched on, just folded over. Original unbroken chinstrap. Cork is in very good condition, with only one crack in the left rear ducks bill, but fabric is very tight so movement minimal and unnoticeable. Bullet ricochet to left front panel and fabric worn through to cork on top right (1/2 inch) Please see pictures. Interior is excellent with War Department with broad arrow stamp. Helmet has a leather drawstring sweatband, which is supple and in excellent condition. The sweatband is attached to the helmet via a concertina construction. The helmet is made by Simon Arthurston - Port Siad Egypt."
    Attached Files

Any thoughts on how much this piece might be worth? This is something I've always wanted.
    Attached Files

Comment

The inside
      Attached Files

Comment

A bit of damage to this spot, but expected for a helmet this old!
        Attached Files

Comment

Last one.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a nice used example but I do not like the WD markings. I think they might have been added to enhance the value?

I'd say the value is £500+ taking into consideration the damage and the added flash.

Comment

When I was younger and they were knocking all the Victorian buildings down in our town (in the days before the Antiques roadshow) we went into a printers that was due for demolition (1975) and knicked all the printing blocks and letters etc when I got home I proceeded to arrow and date all my undated British stuff.And it looked like that.Perhaps I shouldnt have chucked the Clarice cliff teapot at the wall and smashed all the Bakelite telephones ,flung all the antique monocles at the local population and Police from the top of the old opticians .Still the helmet looks nice but I would put the value at £200.Rob.
              God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Wolsey Pattern Helmet sealed in 1899 for use by the West African Regiment and the Chinese Regiment, taken into use by the British Army circa 1902 (Officially).

Comment

Sweatband held in place by cotter pins? The same general construction & lining as modern Royal Marine white pith helmets (at least, they were still like that in the 1970's). The WD stamp would indicate an issue item for other ranks, rather than an officer's private purchase item. Seems strange that someone would want to put the stamp on.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X