The RARE GVI R.A.F. Long Service Medal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RARE GVI R.A.F. Long Service Medal

At this point you probably think I have gone mad. How can such a common medal be rare, particulary when it graces almost every medal dealers stall around the world......well come closer.........and I`ll let you into a secret.....

Only 487 of these medals have ever been awarded to the Canadian Airforce. The final award being made in I think 1957? The majority of these 487 being the first First Type GVI to veterans of WW2. There is no wonder I have been chasing this group for a week!.......

Interesting order in which to mount.............I guess this chap must of been proud of his LSGC.

This particular group is to CAN/619 W.O.1 G. R. Horton R.C.A.F. Thats a VERY low service number for the R.C.A.F. The L.S.G.C is impressed in small block capitals to 619 W.O.1 G. R. Horton......note the absence of R.C.A.F or R.A.F after the surname....this is correct for the first batch GVI.
    Last edited by yellow; 10-30-2004, 10:17 AM.

The MID .....

Comment

Hello Steve,

That is a great group

Can I ask if there were ever any regulations stating which order medals were to be worn in?

Comment

Steve,

Like Jack, my congratulations on your set, its nice to see that you have the documentation to go with the MID as well.
        Regards
        Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Hi Steve,

Very nice group indeed, don't see those all that often even in my neck of the woods. Here is his MiD info in case you don't have it:

HORTON, WO Guy Robeson (Can 619) - Mention in Despatches - No.61 Base - Award effective 1 January 1945 as per London Gazette of that date and AFRO 379/45 dated 2 March 1945. Home in Saint John, New Brunswick. Enlisted in Winnipeg, 1 April 1924. DHist file 181.009 D.2993 (RG.24 Vol.20634) has recommendation for an MBE dated 24 July 1944. He had enlisted 1 April 1924, served in Canada 19 years and in England for 13 months. Unit described further as No,1664 Heavy Conversion Unit, Station Dishforth. Master Mechanic.

Citation:

Warrant Officer Horton has given meritorious service on this station as Warrant Officer in charge of the Servicing Wing, being responsible to a large degree for the gratifying results obtained. His skill and diligence have contributed to the general efficiency of the unit. He has 21 years service with the RCAF.

Interesting that he was recommended for the MBE...must have been in favour with the brass hats!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Very nice Tony

What do they get knocked out nowadays then? About a grand?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts
              What do they get knocked out nowadays then? About a grand?
              About that, yes. However, it cannot be over-emphasised how scarce a find Steve's group is. 'Oh shiny thing, oh shiny thing. How I covet thee.'

Comment

Thank you for the comments chaps and your top information Adam. I had literally just got through the door with those medals in my hand when I started this thread.

To answer you question Jack......I think the correct order in which to mount is shown on the ribbon bar on top of the framed MID certificate. Why he or any member of his familly would mount those medals in such a bizarre fashion is beyond me?

Also included was a warrant officers cap badge mounted on a tear drop plexi glass wall hanging and this presentation case......

Would I be correct in assuming it housed the LSGC medal or am I missing a medal from the group?

You wouldnt believe this but last week I actually had this set sitting in my hand and turned it down.

Steve.
                Last edited by yellow; 10-31-2004, 06:02 AM.

Comment

I've never seen a service LS&GC medal awarded in such a box (civvy issues yes), so it may be a Canadian peculiarity. However, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes, his LS&GC came in that box. A gallantry award or a BEM would have the appropriate abbreviation on the lid* (later civvy LS&GC award cases having the title in full); present day service LS&GC boxes simply have a crown on the top lid - like your case, so...?

What's the recess like on the inside trim? To be honest, unlike Third Reich collectors, not much thought is given to award cases & issue boxes within British medal circles - unless it's an original MGS carton.

*The exception to this 'rule' is the MC award case - which has a crown on the lid.
                  Last edited by Tony Farrell; 11-01-2004, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Correct. The LSGC would have been awarded in that case. WWII gongs came in simple cardboard boxes. The same type of case is still used for the award of the Canadian Forces Decoration, although now these cases bear the Coat of Arms of Canada, rather than the crown. It is correct that it has a Tudor crown, of course.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Lovely group that Steve, something relatively common for an RAF bod becomes as scarce as the smelly output of a rocking horse given that Canadian connection.

Nice one

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X