Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Catering Corps etc...

If anyone can help me, please?

Were units such as the ACC attached to Regiments etc or did they operate independently?

Thanks in advance, from Jack.

LOL! Just answered my own question by looking in Peter Taylor's book!

Comment

This practice is rather queer though, don't ya think?

Comment

Infantry battalions had Aldershot Concrete Company cooks & also regimental cooks wearing the infantry bns own badges, I'm surprised that the ACC man in your photo is badged up as a S Stafford, is this just to blend with the crowd so that he isn't targetted due to different coloured titles etc?

Comment

Thanks Leigh!

I have not got the foggiest why these ACC guys got badged up with the badges of the unit they were serving in?

Why is he not wearing the ACC shoulder titles? I put it down to blending in with the regiment he is attached to so he won't get any stick from the other lads? He might stick out as well, as you say, if he wore different shoulder titles?

Perhaps someone knows something I don't?

From a confused Jack!

Comment

Attached arms may be permitted to wear an embelishment of the unit to which they are attached at the COs approval. Which is why you see ACC, REME, RAMC, RAOC and now RLC wearing Tanoshanters and coloured berets and backings to their own Corps badge. Some members also wore double; such as an embroidered RAMC sleeve designation with a brass RHA shoulder title.

Comment

Last edited by Seigfried; 06-11-2005, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff
                Attached arms may be permitted to wear an embelishment of the unit to which they are attached at the COs approval. Which is why you see ACC, REME, RAMC, RAOC and now RLC wearing Tanoshanters and coloured berets and backings to their own Corps badge. Some members also wore double; such as an embroidered RAMC sleeve designation with a brass RHA shoulder title.
                Unusual & unofficial I assume to see somebody wearing the combination as shown in the photo?
                Headgear & its embelishments are the usual "combination" items, depending on whether the individual is posted to or attached to a unit.
                I've seen 17/21st Lancers wearing their black berets & silver anodised "mottoes" with red & white Royal Regiment of Fusilier hackles & Int Corps officers wearing their own cap badges with RRF dark blue berets & hackles, & obviously the usual attached sort of personnel such as REME, ACC & RAPC wearing their own badges with the headgear of the infantry battalion they're attached to. I once saw a RAOC officer in Northern Ireland wearing a RM Commando beret with a gark green painted RAOC badge.
                I have a vague recollection of an RRF officer wearing the RRF badge & hackle with the beret of the Army Air Corps in the mid 70's.
                In Bosnia in 2000 there was an officer of The London Regiment TA, badged & hackled as a Queen's Fusilier (ie the badge & hackle as per RRF), but wearing the dark green beret of the Light Infantry.
                Personally, I baulked at the idea of wearing a RRF badge & red & white hackle with the cypress green beret of the Int Corps.

Comment

Hi Jack, I can only agree with the opinions already stated by Leigh, John and Mark.

Private Frank Dixon ACC was with the XXI IPC at Arnhem. He can be seen in the film "Theirs is the Glory" knocking out a Panther with a PIAT. He always wore the Parachute Regt cap badge. Not much of a decision really; ACC or Para badge By the way some of his kit is in the "40-45 Museum" just north of Arnhem. I know his BD is there and some paperwork, I can't recall if the beret is there now.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Awsome photo.

Comment

Marc, John, Leigh, Ade and Nelly thanks for your comments, they are of great help to me

Comment

LOL! The Catering Support Regiment. Not quite Raiding Support Regiment, but close

http://www.army.mod.uk/ta/organisati...s/catsreg.html

Comment

Leigh's observations reminded me of the time I saw an officer from the Argyls in his No.2s: kilt, sporran & spats... and an A&SH glengarry badge shoehorned on to his Army Air Corps beret. He had AAC coller dogs on too, so gawd knows what was happening there. I've also seen a bloke from the (old) Gloucester Regt. in quasi-AAC rig. Someone mentioned that these blokes were transferees, and as such were permitted to wear their 'parent' unit capbadges. Maybe Marc might like to clarify things here, as I thought that the only time you wore another unit's headwear was when you were actually attached to them - but retained your own capbadge.

Bewildered of Stow-cum-Quy.

Comment

Once upon a time, Officer Pilots were only attached to the AAC and therefore continued to wear the uniform of the Regiment/Corps in which they held their Commision. The beret was the binding item of dress. It may well be different now.

Comment

I can't remember the exact details - there's a difference between being posted to & being attached to a unit re the headgear worn.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X