A little badge help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little badge help, please

I'm posting four badges that I hope the badge gurus can give me a little information on.
    Thanks in advance,
    Garth
    #1 obverse
    Attached Files

#1 reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

#2 obverse
      Attached Files

Comment

#2 reverse
        Attached Files

Comment

#3 obverse
          Attached Files

Comment

#3 reverse
            Attached Files

Comment

#4 obverse
              Attached Files

Comment

#4 reverse
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Garth ,
                  my oh my .....ya do pick some bits up dont ya ???
                  the first few i have no idea but for some strange reason i think Belgium ?
                  the last one is a british army ( Kent ) reserve , a few of the other english lads willl know better than me but the national reserve were old soldiers / vets who had served before and now were civilians but had agreed to be on stand by incase of war its a " MUFFTI " badge designed to be worn with civilian clothes ,this is backed up by type of rear fastner ,this is to go through the hole in your suit lapel , regards ,Michael.
                  B
                  Originally posted by Garth Thompson
                  #4 reverse

Comment

Hi Garth, I would agree with Micheal's observations. The first badges posted do not have a British "feel" to the designs, but the construction style is. Sorry I cannot help more. I am sure the badge collectors here will give you the correct ID's?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

HIYA ,just had another good look at this one ( badge no .1) ....for some reason it feels to me to be North African ?? ( the sun burst to the base ) possibly with some link to French forces ? this is just a hunch and not backed up with any fact at all !!
                      Michael.
                      Originally posted by Garth Thompson
                      I'm posting four badges that I hope the badge gurus can give me a little information on.
                      Thanks in advance,
                      Garth
                      #1 obverse

Comment

I'd guess school OTC units or similar, cap or collar for 1 & 2, I've had a quick check but can't find these 2 though.
                        No. 3 is a collar dog of the East Surreys.
                        No 4 is a lapel badge as described above.
                        Volunteer units were formed at the outbreak of WWI, some wore a form of uniform with cap badges etc, most wore lapel badges in their civilian dress.
                        They were recognised by the War Office in November 1914 & controlled by the Central Association of Volunteer Training Corps. Those units without an individual badg wore a general pattern.
                        Ultimately, uniforms were of grey-green with different rank badges etc to the army, & "GR" in black on a red armband. Headgear was of various patterns, usually the peaked cap, but also slouch hats & otehr styles were worn.
                        In April 1916 the VTC became the Volunteer Force & Central Association of Volunteer Regiments, in October rank badges changed to conform with the army & the different cap badges were standardised as the Royal Arms - the fighting dogs in bronze for officers & gilding metal for ORs ( apart from the City / County of London Regiments).
                        In July 1918 all County Volunteer Regiments were made Volunteer Bns of Line Infantry Regiments, & were to wear the regular army cap badge but minus any battle honours. (I read an article by, I think, Ray Westlake years ago, in which he stated that a Cheshire unit wore good quality private purchase Cheshire Regiment bi-metal cap badges while the regular bns etc were reduced to wearing the brass economy version). Not all units had changed their cap badges to conform by the end of the war.

Comment

Badge #1

Garth: I can help you with #1. It is the crest of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver (where I was a student many moons ago!) Leigh's observation that it's an OTC badge seems like a likely explanation.

Comment

Badge number 2 is the collar badge for the 19th Battalion, The London Regiment (St Pancras), from the solid back possibley an officer version.

Comment

Thanks to everybody for the replies and identifications.

Garth

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X