Today's DNW auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's DNW auction

It's been a while since I've added anything to my British medals collection and was following today's auction as I was after an MGS or Waterloo medal (which I was successful in as their were so many available today) but was also interested in the lots to the Bombay artillery as I collect to the RA, I was surprised to see most if not all lots go over estimate, some by a long way, I remember one lot estimated at £4-5k going for £20k. Bidding seemed to be quite a bit fiercer than other parts of the auction.

Is this down to more Indian collectors in the market?
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Indeed, DNW had some oustanding medals on auction, but the timing wasn't good for me.
    Did the Waterloo Medals hold close to estimate , or sell even higher? God, they are bloody expensive!

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Managed to snag another Gallantry Group. Snuck it out for mid estimate. It was near the end of a loooooooong day. I have a feeling most got tired and logged off or left the auction in person

Comment

There were a lot of MGS' s and waterloos i was only following those to members of the royal artillery and they either hit topend of estimate or above i think. It's going to be interesting to see what will happen to prices in 2015.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

For years Indian stuff was 'unsalable' due to the difficulty in researching it, though Gurkha stuff has always sold well due to the 'Cool!' factor. I collected Indian for years because I liked it and I could afford it. This was 30 years ago, 'BC' [before children] but even then British was 2-3 timers higher than comparable awards to the Indian forces.

Now I believe there are more Indian collectors. That is, more collectors in India and in the Indian diaspora, and more of we gora log collecting to the Indian Army and its ancillary units. All to the good, I say, as more informed collectors are better for the hobby, even if they do drive prices up.

Gunners have always sold fairly well too but maybe some of those disappointed on the pricier items went Bombay as a consolation prize. Very very easy to do at auctions, when you've primed yourself to buy 'something, anything!'

Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X