Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"V" Force Cap Badge

Hi Guys,

I bought this badge for £3 back in 1988 when I was 10. The first piece of militaria I ever bought

However I`ve never been able to get a decisive answer as to its originality. Over the years I`ve shown it to various collectors and dealers. I`ve had people say its 100% fake and alot who said they were not sure and that it could be right?

All I know about this "V" force is that they were some sort of chindit force who operated in Burma in WW2 but thats about it. Do any of you know if originals of this badge were official? or field made? My badge certainly does not look to be an official made badge. Athough it looks like it has the right amount of age to it, this could of course be artificial.

So does anyone know what an original should look like? or have any opinions on mine? I think mine is probably an old repro but it has quite alot of sentimental value to me

I would just like to know what an original should look like and find out any additional info on this unit.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

reverse

reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

In 1942 V Force were formed as a stay behind outfit to operate behind Japanese lines after occupation of Assam & Eastern Bengal. Consisting of hill tribesman & officered by Brit plantation owners & the like, it was originally known as The Assam Organisation, a few months later it came under control of IV Corps, & was known as Force V, later V Force, later still it became Kenforce in January 1946.

"Some Talk Of Private Armies" by Len Whitaker (Albanium Publishing, 1984), mentions an interesting character - Ursula Graham Bower, a gun toting, knife wielding 27 yrs old female officially on the strength as a Typist, unofficially "The Naga Queen", organising the Naga villages in the Cahar Hills into a network of spies & scouts. Sounds a bit romanticised, but what do I know. There are still a few like her out in the fens around here.

The role of V Force varied, but they acted as an intelligence screen 10 miles ahead of 14th Army, as the war progressed then elements were reorganised & disbanded, the last remnant, "A Group", followed the Japanese through the Karen Hills into China.

Kipling & King show the V Force badge as KK2072, & state that it was in cast bronzed-brass, the officers version was cast, unhallmarked silver.

Whitaker states: "The letter V superimposed on saltirewise fighting knives with a scroll beneath was the badge worn in the pagri and in the beret by V Force personnel, usually in blackened brass but there were versions in local silver, and silver plate".

I've only ever seen blackened brass hollow diestruck ones & I've always assumed thet the ones that I've seen were repro.
      I tend to be rather suspicious of some of the insignia illustrated in Whitaker's book.

Photos are lousy for judging authenticity, looking at yours as a badge irrespective of the unit it represents, I would'nt condemn it out of hand from the front view, although for me the slider does'nt ring right.
      Looking at it as a V Force badge, then the odds seem to be against it.....

Comment

Thanks for the info and your opinion Leigh!

Comment

The unit must still be in existence, as I have the stay bright version with collar dogs!

Cheers,
          James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X