Attached Files

Comment

The top 2 are ww1 and i think this is ww2
      Attached Files

Comment

Gp
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice motto's.... one of my favorite badges. Can we see a reverse photo of the first badge? I found one like that on a WW1 hate belt that had mostly Canadian badges but there were a few British as well. I'm certain it's legitimate but someone told me there is debate on these for some reason.

Comment

Yes ofcourse , this type design has some interesting character i think it looks like a balloon head
            Attached Files

Comment

I have thiis image too the man is wearing 1910 ish style clothing so is in keeping with ww1
              , the source i got the top 2 badges from leeds me to believe ww1
              Attached Files
              Last edited by upbeek; 11-27-2013, 02:47 AM.

Comment

That guy has the Totenkopf look in his eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                  That guy has the Totenkopf look in his eyes!
                  Those steely blue eyes .....

Comment

Thanks for the reverse photo... looks the same as mine. I'm confident it's original and don't understand why some have doubts about it's authenticity. I assume you are calling these badges "totenkopfs" just for fun but of course these are known in the regiment as "Mottos".

Comment

Although not related to this badge, there were at least 60 britts who volunteered in the SS...some of those were tried for treason post war and hung. At one time I had several originals , as I'm sure many here had, but sold off through the years. nice collecrtion..

In World War II, the British Free Corps (BFC) or sometimes incorrectly referred to in the German form as Britisches Freikorps was a unit of the Waffen-SS consisting of British and Dominion prisoners of war who had been recruited by the Germans. Adrian Weale's research has identified about 59 men who belonged to this unit at one time or another, some for only a few days, and at no time did it reach more than 27 men in strength — smaller than a contemporary German platoon. These numbers are highly underestimated by modern-day historians. Other sources, like author and historian Robert A. Best, claim around 1,500 men, including 400 Irish of a SS Irish Brigade.
                      Last edited by juoneen; 11-30-2013, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Infanteer View Post
                        Thanks for the reverse photo... looks the same as mine. I'm confident it's original and don't understand why some have doubts about it's authenticity. I assume you are calling these badges "totenkopfs" just for fun but of course these are known in the regiment as "Mottos".
                        u

Yes ofcourse just a bit of fun, i know they sre known as mottos. The fact that i have proof of these being ww1 adds weight to the debate, i wish british militaria was so well researched as the german is

Comment

Originally posted by juoneen View Post
                          Although not related to this badge, there were at least 60 britts who volunteered in the SS...some of those were tried for treason post war and hung. At one time I had several originals , as I'm sure many here had, but sold off through the years. nice collecrtion..

In World War II, the British Free Corps (BFC) or sometimes incorrectly referred to in the German form as Britisches Freikorps was a unit of the Waffen-SS consisting of British and Dominion prisoners of war who had been recruited by the Germans. Adrian Weale's research has identified about 59 men who belonged to this unit at one time or another, some for only a few days, and at no time did it reach more than 27 men in strength — smaller than a contemporary German platoon. These numbers are highly underestimated by modern-day historians. Other sources, like author and historian Robert A. Best, claim around 1,500 men, including 400 Irish of a SS Irish Brigade.
                          Very interesting your research is great !
                          I do not believe alot of modern history im very carefull in that field !

Comment

The regiment, at least when i was in the army, was the 17th Lancers.

As for the inflated numbers of british and commonwealth members serving in the german armed forces. I don't believe it, though i can perhaps see a possible explanation. Men of either mixed parentage or who were born in Britain, Canada, Australia etc. But who were of German nationality anyway. Of course being born in a particular country doesn't necessarily mean you are or can claim that country's nationality.
                            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
                              The regiment, at least when i was in the army, was the 17th Lancers.
                              Wow Simon, you must be very old as they became the 17th/21st Lancers in 1922.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X