PPA - Popski's Private Army Silver Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPA - Popski's Private Army Silver Badge

I would like to be able to find out when and where this PPA badge was made, also the meaning of the stamped No 35. Comments and advice much appreciated, regards, Clive.
    Attached Files

Closer detail of Sterling Silver stamp, hallmarks and the Number 35.
    Attached Files

Comment

925 is a sterling silver mark, the anchor is for Birmingham silver, my book on silver marks does not identify a maker with the initial SM and it is odd there is no year letter.

I suspect this is a post war old comrades piece or something similar.

Comment

Thank you for the comments, I also had no luck checking out the hallmarks. On another Forum I received a PM to advise that this is possibly a fake badge made in the 1980's from a shop in Charing Cross (there used to be a market nearby). I am told that these badges turn up fairly often, though none have been found with a number over 189, which may indicate that approximately 200 were manufactured. It was also suggested that I should have it tested to see if it is actually made of silver and this I will do soon. It is a well made and well struck badge and such a shame if it is just a fake or reproduction.

Comment

Took the Badge to a Jewelers who did not want to test it as it is Sterling marked and Hallmarked. Persuaded them to do so, they had to scratch the back, and it is made of Silver.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X