Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

I was wondering if any of you kind members could help me out..........

I paid to register on a war records website. Got a months trial for £5. I can find nothing on my Great Grandfather. I am just curious as he served in France with the Royal Engineers in WW1. He lived in Ilkley in Yorkshire. Just want to know his Rank and medal entitlement ect.

His name is Howard Rhodes, Royal Engineers.(got the details of his photo) His father was called Isaac Rhodes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Mike, I just looked for his medal index card here, there is only one match, could be your relative

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...-889&image1=GO

if the link does not work, google medal index card, and find link for national archives, btw there is a small fee to view it

cheers

Comment

Thanks

Hello John,

Thanks for the link. It's not the same man.

I remember last year around this time a certain website gave people free access during November. I cannot remember the name but I went onto it and found his record.
      This site I paid to go on has 5 million records. Are some search sites better than others?
      My grandad is called Howard Rhodes and was in the Royal Engineers in France in 1917. His father was called Isaac and he lived in a place called I lkley in Yorkshire, England. I know his record does exist.

I even seen what medals he was entitled too.

The next question! What would you do! I can buy replacement medals for the same price as originals but as you know the originals will have another soldiers name. They will be going into a frame anyway.

Regards

Mike

Comment

Mike

Was his full name Marshall Howard Rhodes, address Cedar Lodge Ilkley ?

Regards

Richie

Comment

War records is rubbish it has nothing!your far better off payimjg the fee for a short subscrition to ancestory or find my past!there the sites that have the real info you need for doing family research!
          Last edited by paddywhack; 11-18-2013, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by paddywhack View Post
            War records is rubbish it has nothing!il check ancestory when i get home!
            I'm on it !

Comment

Originally posted by Richie B View Post
              I'm on it !
              Just saw that!

Comment

Mike

re : Marshall Howard Rhodes

Information from Ancestry

Born 27 December 1888

Parents Isaac and Margaret [born Umpelby] Rhodes

MHR enlisted Leeds 10 May 1915 223 Field Company Royal Engineers. Rank Sapper.

Service number 98470.

Age 26 years 5 months. Occupation Bank Clerk. British subject. Unmarried.
                Enlisted for the duration of the war. Next of kin IR and MR – mother and father.
                Religion Wesleyan

Medal entitlement

1914-15 Star
                British War Medal
                Victory Medal.

Embarked 15 December 1915

No entries for bad conduct, wounds or promotion.

Demobilised 16 March 1919 – I think - date is a little unclear on the document image.

MHR died in 1976 aged 87.

I hope that helps - sorry can't post images - I'm sure someone else could do that for you.

223 Field Company RE was part of 31st Division.

Some history here

http://www.1914-1918.net/31div.htm

Medals - I'm sure you can buy copies on eBay.

Regards

Richie

Comment

Brilliant!

Ritchie I could not thank you enough!

Thanks for that. You have obviously been right on it

Spoke to my dad and no one knew him as Marshall so there you go.

Cedar lodge was the family home well into the 80's.

After WW1 he became a tobacconist and opened a shop in London and retired at 45.

When my grandad was in France the family home in london was bombed and they lost everything.

After the war he was not happy as my grandad brought home a German wife in 1946. They remained married till 1952 and she returned to Germany just after my dad was born. My grandad won custody of my father and the judge gave my gran a really hard time. According to my grandad it was due to the fact that the judge lost a son, a spitfire pilot, in the war.

My German gran is still alive today.

Thanks for filling in the gap.

Appreciated

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X