British Officer Visor, WWII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British Officer Visor, WWII?

Hi Guys, I've had this visor a while and wasn't sure if it was WWII or earlier?

Also, any idea of the significance of the blue diamond behind the badge?

The Royal Artillery badge has a King's Crown, so the cap could be of WWII vintage, and the interior looks to be of that era.
    I have never seen that blue diamond behind an RA cap badge. Some regiments do use a colored patch behind the badge, but not the RA to my knowledge.
    Given that the cap has general service side buttons, one could attach just about any badge to the front, so the patch may have been behind a different badge originally.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Great info!

Thank you Bob.

Comment

Also pre 1953 as that is when the makers went out of business. WWII or possibly early post war, but certainly pre 53.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

The RA gun badge began to get gradually phased out in '41 as the use of the 'grenade' badge started. However, RA horsed units continued to use the gun badge on the stiff caps. I think the blue backing is unusual too. I own the 'WWI' version of this RA officers cap. The Brits made really fine caps!

Robt.

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
              The RA gun badge began to get gradually phased out in '41 as the use of the 'grenade' badge started. However, RA horsed units continued to use the gun badge on the stiff caps. I think the blue backing is unusual too. I own the 'WWI' version of this RA officers cap. The Brits made really fine caps!

Robt.
              They sure did.

Comment

Originally posted by pvluger View Post
                Also, any idea of the significance of the blue diamond behind the badge?
                It may signify a Territorial Unit. Is the material tartan? The 'gun' badge BTW is still in use today as a cap badge.

Comment

cap

Nice cap never seen the blue backing before i like it well done

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
                    It may signify a Territorial Unit. Is the material tartan? The 'gun' badge BTW is still in use today as a cap badge.
                    Not sure, I believe it to be wool.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X