Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal navy tunic for review

Hello,

I am looking at this tunic, so would like to know if it's WW2 period or?

Thanks in advance for any comment!!!
    Attached Files

The cut is the same as my pre 53 example and without a dated label they can be hard to narrow down any tighter than by the buttons (Kings crown V's Queens crown) and as it has WWII medal ribbons up that would not have been issued until after the wars end, it could be early post war or wartime that continued to be worn after the war.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Label is not dated, but the manufacturer can be traced, maybe, and possibly someone can judge based on the label style:
        Attached Files

Comment

HI ,as a collector my self of Naval tunics you have a hard job ahead of you

UNLESS there is a date on the label there is no real way of saying its war time ? unless you can find his service details and he was say wounded out of the servive for good or killed wartime , IE he would not have a post war tunic ? with first war tunics you can some times date them by the postcodes , the argument used by some dealers that if he was a P.O.W till the wars end his tunic must be war time is rubbish - many P.O.W officers had new tunics made up for the Victory parades in late 1945 46 .

hope this helps . nice tunic any way- vastly underated an I will keep buying them up ........

Comment

Originally posted by amiklic1 View Post
            Label is not dated, but the manufacturer can be traced, maybe, and possibly someone can judge based on the label style:

I shall have a look, I live in Gosport, over the water from Portsmouth Looks like they had a branch in Pompey but packed in 10 yrs ago.

<TABLE class=gazette><TBODY><TR><TH>Registered Office</TH><TD>10 SAVILE ROW, LONDON, W1S 3PF, UNITED KINGDOM
            </TD></TR><TR><TH> Incorporation Date</TH><TD>11-08-1920</TD></TR><TR><TH> Last Accounts Filed up to</TH><TD title="Accounts were filed with Companies House on 09-09-2003">31-12-2002</TD></TR><TR><TH>Type</TH><TD>Private Limited with share capital</TD></TR><TR><TH> Accounts Type</TH><TD>Dormant</TD></TR><TR><TH> Status</TH><TD>Dissolved
            </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comment

Address: 4 Ordnance Row, The Hard and 32, The Hard both Portsmouth.

A similar one is here at the IWM.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30093256

Comment

OK, I understand a bit more.

If I understand Bond's post, those ribbons were not in use in the wartime?

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
                  Address: 32, The Hard, Portsmouth.

A similar one is here at the IWM.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30093256
                  Yes, but that one is Gieves ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by grandads-kitbag View Post
                    HI ,as a collector my self of Naval tunics you have a hard job ahead of you

UNLESS there is a date on the label there is no real way of saying its war time ? unless you can find his service details and he was say wounded out of the servive for good or killed wartime , IE he would not have a post war tunic ? with first war tunics you can some times date them by the postcodes , the argument used by some dealers that if he was a P.O.W till the wars end his tunic must be war time is rubbish - many P.O.W officers had new tunics made up for the Victory parades in late 1945 46 .

hope this helps . nice tunic any way- vastly underated an I will keep buying them up ........
                    Is it possible to compare the known wartime labels with the one shown here?

Comment

Hi , as I have heard, this manufacturer had "LTD" after the name on post-WW2 labels. Is that right?

Also, this officer was awarded with some other awards after the WW2, and those ribbons are not mounted on this tunic.

Any comment on this?

Comment

It seems that this guy, based on the name, was promoted to a rank of Captain on 30 June 1958, while on 1 October 1945 he was promoted to a Lt.Cdr.,
                        so based on those facts I consider this a post- WW2 tunic.

Comment

The first two ribbons would have been worn as soon as possible after notification of the awards.

Use the London Gazette to research the owner.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                            The first two ribbons would have been worn as soon as possible after notification of the awards.

Use the London Gazette to research the owner.

Marc
                            I have researched the owner and the tunic is genuine, BUT as the rank stripes are those of the Captain rank, and he was promoted to that rank just in 1958, this tunic cannot be WW2 piece.

I am still planning to buy it if the price will be OK.

Comment

Originally posted by amiklic1 View Post
                              I have researched the owner and the tunic is genuine, BUT as the rank stripes are those of the Captain rank, and he was promoted to that rank just in 1958, this tunic cannot be WW2 piece.

I am still planning to buy it if the price will be OK.
                              It could still be WW2 with new rank added.
                              Lee

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X