MilitaryStockholm

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry Insignia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry Insignia.

Can anybody clue me in on these please? A pair of brooched white metal shouldertitles which show the remains of gilding.
    I've seen a photo, years ago of this pattern of title being worn by an officer of TMI, I can't remember if he also wore one in the slouch hat.
    I don't know if these were made with the brooch fittings or converted later.
    Are they supposed to be in white metal or gilt finish, & are they officer's or OR's insignia, were they worn on the slouch hat as well as the shoulders?
    Attached Files

Hello Lee,

I believe these were worn on both the slouch hat and as shoulder titles. Variations are enormous because a lot were made in South Africa using different materials etc.

My Dad collects all Boer War period slouch hat insignia and here is one of his. It is made of brass and about 1.5 inches long by about 0.5 inch.

Cheers, from Jack.

Comment

Reverse.

Comment

Ta, your dad's looks cast, so presumably locally made, the pair that I've got are solid die-struck, seem fairly Brit in terms of maufacture. I might be way off, but I think that I read years ago that officers shoulder titles were in white metal. Any idea where I can find a few photos of the insignia in wear at all please?

Comment

Hmmm...I don't know any books...but...my Dad might have a few postcards somewhere with them being worn. I'll ask him when he comes back in later

Cheers, from Jack.

Comment

Sorry Leigh...I always get your name wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Dutton-Roberts
              Sorry Leigh...I always get your name wrong
              Ne problema - I also answer to Neil, Ian & Hey You a lot as well.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X