• Time
  • Show
Clear All

RARE Royal Canadian Dragoons group

Now then here is something a bit special, Royal Canadian Dragoons

5 Bar QSA (389 SSM N Medhurst RCD)
    1914/15 trio (Lieut, RCD)
    Coronation 1911
    LS& GC Edw.VII "Canada" reverse (605 Wt.Offr. N Medhurst RCD)
    MSM (Geo V) "Canada" reverse, (SSM1 (WO1) N Medhurst RCD)
    Boer War Welcome Home Medal (City of Toronto) (389 SSM Medhurst A Sqn, RCD)
    Attached Files

Go on Adam, I dare you, tell me you wouldnt swap your left one for it !!

Comment

Guhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................ ..............

Comment

Ahem, ok now that I've recovered I have to say that is the nicest Canadian long service group I've seen in a long time...

I've only ever owned one group that was similar...a 4 Bar QSA to the RCR, WWI gongs (a pair as I recall), Permanent Forces Beyond the Seas LSGC, "Canada" Reverse MSM...he had gone to the RCGA at that point. It was a splendid group and a joy to research...ended up in the Tamplin collection...lord knows who has it at this point.

I know a Chap who probably WOULD have his left one in the mail to you the next day if he thought he could get that from you...

Another friend of mine has a magnificent group to the Royal Highlanders (Black Watch) of Canada with again a similar combination...I've been after it for years...one day one day one day........

Remember me in your will would you Pete!

Thanks for sharing that made my night.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Pete,

Not sure if this is at all helpful to you but I looked him up on my roll for the 1911 Coronation and here is the info:

Quartermaster Sergeant Instr. Medhurst, N. Royal Canadian Dragoons

I'll have another shot for some more stuff hold on....

Adam<O</O

Comment

Here is the info for his MSM:

S.S.M.I. (W.O. Cl. I) Medhurst, N. R.C.D. G.O. 84, 1922
            <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>
            <o></o>
            <o>There were 3 MSMs issued under General Order 84.</o>

Comment

Some more details on his WWI Cavalry service:

Here is how to read the info:

Rank, Name, Original Unit & Date of Enlistment, Date TOS unit in the Field, Casualties, Honours and Awards, Address on Demob or Next of Kin.

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-table-layout-alt: fixed; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.75pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.75pt solid; WIDTH: 49.5pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.75pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=66>Lieut.<O></O>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.75pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.75pt solid; WIDTH: 129.9pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.75pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=173>Medhurst, Nathan<O></O>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.75pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.75pt solid; WIDTH: 99.85pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.75pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=133>R.C.D. 22-9-14<O></O>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.75pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.75pt solid; WIDTH: 143.75pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.75pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=192>R.C.D. 4-5-15<O></O>

F.G.H. 17-4-18<O></O>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.75pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.75pt solid; WIDTH: 119.65pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.75pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=160>Nil<O></O>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.75pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.75pt solid; WIDTH: 78.95pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.75pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=105>Nil<O></O>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1.5pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.75pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.75pt solid; WIDTH: 207.45pt; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.75pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=277>679 Gladstone Ave., Toronto, Ont.<O></O>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Looks to me like he may in fact have been commissioned into the FGH (Fort Gary Horse) towards the end of WWI, judging from the above...or he at least was transferred to them.

Comment

And...

Medhurst, N. 389 S.S.M., R.C.D. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

N. Medhurst; <o></o>

Medals offered for sale: Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Dreifontein, Johannesberg, Diamond Hill (389 S.S.M., R.C.D.); 1914-15 Trio (Lieut., R.C.D.); 1911 Coronation (unnamed); M.S.M. (GVR, Canada) (SSMI (WO Cl 1), RCD); LS&GC (EDVII, Canada) (No. 605 Wrnt. Offr., RCD); Sports medals (Glendinings, 25 Nov 87, Lot 193, VF

Comment

Pete,

Let me know if you need his Boer War docs because we can pull those as well...and can get his WWI Attestation Papers...but I am guessing you must have these already.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Thanks for sharing that one Pete - I would have sent you Adam's left one and right one for that!

Seriously, though, wonderful stuff.

Comment

Interesting group.

Call me daft for asking this question..........be should'nt there be some date bars on the QSA OR a KSA? If this was a Brit Cavalry group I would assume this was the case.

Steve.

Comment

Thanks for the most generous offer Geoff (various items of Adam's) - if it were mine I regret I still wouldnt part with it, its another of the series of wonderful exotics from the album I mentioned (as per the British/German group and British/Jap group).

Wouldnt dream of calling you draft Steve,
                        perfectly sensible question in my eyes, regret however that aside from appreciating it for the LOVELY thing that it is and having personal and painful knowledge of the rarity of the Canada LS&GC (EVII) & MSM, I'm not the best guy in the world to comment on QSA bar combinations. Never got into 1899/02 Boer War the way I should have.

Hopefully some bright spark will be able to explain all and educate ME

Comment

Very nice medal bar

Adam How are you getting all that info?

Comment

VERY few Canadians qualified for a KSA (I'm at work so don't have the exact numbers to hand) and if they did qualify it was almost always the case that they had transferred to another unit such as the Canadian Scouts or the South African Constabulary. He may not have qualified for a date bar either, if his total time after 1900 did not meet the prerequisites, again I don't have the exact requirements here but will try to dig this up.

It's a splendid group, and indeed the "Canada Reverse" LSGC and MSMs are exceedingly difficult to find...never had a LSGC personally and only ever had one MSM (and felt rather lucky to find that one!).

Laurence, I have quite a few databases on my computer...they come in handy at times like this!

Cheers!

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X