Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With this British Flag Please!!!!

Folks,
    I just got this flag at an estate sale. I know nothing about such items so any help would be greatly appreciated such as what is it, what era does it come from, and any possible value. As you can see it does have some staining of which, I don`t know. It is also double sided as the pictures show. Thanks again for any help!!!
    Attached Files

flag

pics
    Attached Files

Comment

pics

Reverse side and shot of stamp.
      Attached Files

Comment

Old style Canadian Merchant Marine Flag..... construction and "gromets" would indicate US Manurfacture probably.... I'd guess from 1950s, possibly earlier...
        not "big value IMO" unless definately "Wartime"/marked & dated/broadarrow proofed, etc. .....
        John G.

Comment

Ditto that, and ...

Originally posted by Mainemilitaria View Post
          Old style Canadian Merchant Marine Flag..... construction and "gromets"
          would indicate US Manurfacture probably.... I'd guess from 1950s, possibly earlier... not "big value IMO" unless definately "Wartime"/marked & dated/broadarrow proofed, etc. .....
          John G.
          Ditto that, with green maple leaves from 1921 to 1957.
          IMO likely WW2 era US made as grommets appear to be
          US wartime required zinc material - for use on ship flags.
          Canadian Red Ensign was also flown by RCAF in 1943,
          and in 1944 by the Canadian Army serving with forces of
          other nations.

**** OFW ****
          (My 1st WAF Avatar)
          sigpic
          .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

In fact, the 'Red Duster' was used extensively, if unofficially, all over Canada, including on government buildings in place of the 'Union Jack' [correctly the 'Union flag' unless on the jackstaff of a ship] from at least the 1930s until we created our own maple leaf flag in 1965.

Comment

The flag of the province of Ontario still retains the Union Jack on the flag with the provincial crest on the red background
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ontario

Comment

flag

Thanks guys. One other question. Since this flag is not worth anything, whats the opinion on cleaning it. As you can see it is stained and does have a mild smell to it. Thanks.

Comment

The 'Red Ensign' was approved for all Canadian military establishments overseas in lieu of the official national flag - the 'Union' flag. This was to provide a Canadian identity. In other words, to show the British public that Canada was there ans well as to increase the pride of Canadian soldiers overseas.
                  There was also a specific Canadian flag, sometimes termed the 'Battle Flag' which was flown by the Senior Combatant Officer of the Canadian Army Overseas.
                  See my article at http://servicepub.wordpress.com/2013...ian-army-flag/

Clive

Comment

Nobody said it wasn't worth ANYTHING! and IMO it's sounding better all the time. I wouldn't do anything to it myself.... it is what it is....

My "book" simply said it was the "Merchant Flag"....it has a much more distingushed history than I realized!
                    John G.

Comment

more comments ...

Originally posted by Chris Lee View Post
                      ...Since this flag is not worth anything, whats the opinion
                      on cleaning it. As you can see it is stained and does have
                      a mild smell to it. Thanks.
                      ...See below...
                      OFW
                      Originally posted by Mainemilitaria View Post
                      Nobody said it wasn't worth ANYTHING! and IMO
                      it's sounding better all the time. I wouldn't do
                      anything to it myself.... it is what it is....

My "book" simply said it was the "Merchant Flag"....
                      it has a much more distingushed history than I realized!
                      John G.
                      Ditto that. Smell may be from bunker oil = seen at sea
                      service, IMO an old flag collecting plus and not something
                      you would want to wash away. As for current market value
                      you can check online via google, such as eBay now and sold:
                      1922 pattern, 161125966110, 3'x5', $29 Buy-it-now, reproduction
                      WW2 Scyco maker, 321229118850, 6 feet, $34 reserve not met, 7 bids

OFW
                      Last edited by oldflagswanted; 10-22-2013, 06:57 PM.
                      sigpic
                      .......^^^ .................... some of my collection ...................... ^^^...

Comment

These flags don't come up for sale very often and there is certainly a demand for them amongst collectors of Canadian militaria. I've seen these sell in the $140 - $200 range in decent condition.

Comment

Nice find!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Lee View Post
                            Thanks guys. One other question. Since this flag is not worth anything, whats the opinion on cleaning it. As you can see it is stained and does have a mild smell to it. Thanks.
                            I would leave it alone and not clean or wash the flag. As for the smell maybe hanging it outside for a while out of the direct sun light might help

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X