Naval General Service Medal 1915-64

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naval General Service Medal 1915-64

I don't believe that this particular issue has had an airing on this forum yet, so I thought I'd give it a showing, as they're rather pretty and still affordable.

This medal was instituted in 1915 for personnel of the Royal Navy & Royal Marines engaged in minor naval operations in areas not covered by either the India or Africa general service medals or another campaign specific medal.

The first clasp to be issued was Persian Gulf 1909-14, followed by Iraq 1919-20 (scarce), NW Persia 1920 (rare), Palestine 1936-9, SE Asia 1945-8, Minesweeping 1945-51, Palestine 1945-8, Malaya, Yangtze 1949 (rare), Bomb & Mine Clearance 1945-53 (scarce), Cyprus, Near East, Arabian Peninsula, Bomb & Mine Clearance Mediterranean (scarce) and finally Brunei.
    It is encountered with the obverses for GV, GVI & EIIR. The medal was superseded in 1964 by the General Service Medal - for all arms of service. It was also issued to Commonwealth naval forces. Naming is in impressed upright capitals, with earlier examples having the recipients' ships included in the details.

By far, the most sought after medals are to those of personnel of the China Station involved in what became known as the 'Yangtze Incident'. Medals to officers & ratings of HMS Amethyst in particular (due to the ship's central role) commanding premium prices at auction. Even the ship's cat got a medal (two actually, as it also received the Dickin Medal for its 'bravery' - curled up asleep whilst under fire).
    Attached Files

Indeed a beautiful medal Tony. I've always thought though that the ribbon has more of an army look to it. Any idea what the inspiration is behind those paticular colours?

Comment

That's a good question, as crimson is usually associated with army awards. Dark blue would've been more logical, but I suspect it was something to do with preventing confusion with the CGM & DSM - which, whilst of slightly different formats, could possibly have arisen had the NGSM utilised a blue & white ribbon. Bear in mind that the DSM had only been introduced a year earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean
        Indeed a beautiful medal Tony. I've always thought though that the ribbon has more of an army look to it. Any idea what the inspiration is behind those paticular colours?
        Jim: it's probably in deference to the Army, as we all know that all swabbies wish they could have been squaddies...

Sorry, Jim, couldn't resist...

Comment

Not the worst I've heard Geoff, I was once told by a cabbagehead 'There are two types of marines, submarines and Royal Marines and they both carry sailors'
          I still can't think of a suitable reply.

Originally posted by Greeves
          Jim: it's probably in deference to the Army, as we all know that all swabbies wish they could have been squaddies...

Sorry, Jim, couldn't resist...

Comment

Well, Jim, you can always tell a Marine...but you can't tell him much!

Comment

NGSM clasps Palestine 1936/39 & Palestine 1945/48

What do you reckon guys, how rare is this.

Its the only one I have ever seen, out of interest its to a Maltese Bosun who served aboard Royal Fleet Auxiliaries from c.1935 to 1966 and the clasps are both properly fixed and original. sorry about the photo I'll have another go later, sometimes are are good and sometimes they aint.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Tony Farrell; 10-18-2004, 01:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I've seen GSM18/62s with double Palestine clasps, but I don't recall encountering a naval one. Very nice indeed. Surely there has to be more double claspers about?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Farrell
                  I've seen GSM18/62s with double Palestine clasps, but I don't recall encountering a naval one. Very nice indeed. Surely there has to be more double claspers about?
                  Yes I have seen a dozen or more Army "double Palestines" but Naval ones seem to be thin on the ground.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X