Medals - mounted as worn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medals - mounted as worn

When you buy them and they are in a mess, nasty ribbons and even mounted out of order, do you leave them as they are or do you put them right ???

There are loads of schools of thought but if its obvious that they are "as worn" by the recipient I do like to leave them as they are. This group is fascinating as is the story behind it.

Bert Wallington was born in Tottenham, North London in 1888 and went to sea about 1902 aged 14, as a Galley Boy. His career at sea, as a Ships Cook, took him mainly to and from Australia/NZ and he supplemented his income by prize fighting (bare knuckle boxing). At sea on a long trip especially back then the Ships Cook was either very good, or EXTREMELY handy with his fists (or sometimes both). After a couple of months tramping the oceans a crew on poor food might feel inclined to take it out on somebody. There are some substantial gaps in Bert's known career due to lost documents (in the archives) but we know that when he joined the "Taranaki" in Jun 1941 his discharge book listing his service had been lost by enemy action when his previous ship was sunk.

He was medically discharged in 1944 (42 years at sea) and shortly after the war corresponded at length requiring the immediate delivery of his WW2 medals. When they arrived he appears to have mounted them, magnificently out of order, his Mercantile Marine pair from 1914/18 was mounted at the end rather than the start (the Mercantile is mounted before the British War Medal and its on a BWM ribbon, the BWM on a Victory Medal ribbon follows) and isnt it..................authentic I think thats the word.
    Attached Files

meet Bert Wallington
    Attached Files

Comment

Blimey, someone else you wouldn't want to bump in to on the quayside on a dark night! Although I've seen this group aired 'elsewhere', that incorrectly ribboned Mercantile Marine still fooled me: a bronze cooly BWM naval group? Chinese dobeywallah or kruman methinks... not. Me? I'd simply have to remount 'em [much booing & hissing from the audience].

Comment

You got me Tony !

Yes I used it as an illustration of a "grungy" group in a discussion on "mounted as worn" about 12 months ago elsewhere.

Its one of my favourite "tatty" jobs

Comment

Is there any indication as to why the Victory Medal ribbon is used, did he actually qualify for & receive it or just pick a snazzy ribbon that he was'nt entitled to? Is there liable to be Victory Medal around somewhere with a Merc. Marine ribbon on it?

I'd leave the group mounted as is - presumably it was worn that way, it shows how relaxed or dis-interested individuals could be with regards to the rules & it makes them more "personal" - it says something about the man. Re-ribboning buggers them up anyway, it's messing up history. I only re-ribbon no ribbon jobs which I then don't mount as groups.

Comment

Leigh

no mate his entitlement was the standard Great War one for merchant seamen, a British War Medal and a Mercantile Marine War Medal (both named Bertram C Wallington).

I dont know how he came by the Victory Medal ribbon but I'd guess he'd lost his ribbons and went into a store asking for "ribbons for both of my medals for 1914/18" and I reckon that a shop assistant might be excused for thinking that he was one of the several million ex-soldiers with a BWM/BVM pair rather than one of the 133,000 merchant seamen with a Mercantile pair ?

thats my best guess

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X