a wartime Belgian SAS casualty & another 1962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a wartime Belgian SAS casualty & another 1962

Guys, I lied , I do have a wartime example, maybe to a Belgian SAS casualty, is that also S.S.A. ?????

sorry the pic is poor I'll have to have another go.

Jacques-Rene-Gustaaf PICQUART
    Oorlogsvrijwilliger
    Adjutant bij den Veiligheidsdienst S.S.A. van het Belgisch Leger in Groot-Britanie.
    zoon van
    Heer Maurits en Vrouw Augusta D-Haene
    geboren te Heule 8 Augustus 1921 en roemval
    gesneuveld voor zijn Vaderland
    in de omgeving van Lessines 7 Mei 1942

It has a badge stamped onto the card in the Belgian colours.
    Attached Files

and here is the other one, the original pic is excellent and you can clearly see his SAS beret badge

Thierry Calbrecht,
    Para-Commando
    in bevolen dienst gesneuveld, boven Duitsland op 26 juni 1963
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Pete,

Nice Death notice.
      I think this is a better scan

He wasn't SAS but more SOE.
      I think the card was printed at "Vanmarcke Sanders. Heule" ?

Marc

Comment

In 1963 this guy was doing his military service with (Belgian) first para regt.
        They were going to make a parajump out of a C-119 in Germany, flew over a military camp at Sennelager (Germany) at the same time as the british army was doing an exercise with mortars.
        And can you imagina, one of the mortar bombs hit the airoplane and it crashed at Detmold (Germany), 31 parachutists, 5 airplane members and 4 dipatchers died.

marc

Originally posted by MerchantSeaman
        and here is the other one, the original pic is excellent and you can clearly see his SAS beret badge

Thierry Calbrecht,
        Para-Commando
        in bevolen dienst gesneuveld, boven Duitsland op 26 juni 1963

Comment

Thanks for that Marc, I had guessed it might be a "roman-candle" chute but thats fascinating to know the real facts.

I see you have a copy of the same card as me (Picquart)
          So the S.S.A. is a sort of SOE thing is it, is Adjutant a Warrant Officer rank as in the French & Belgian Army ??
          Do you reckon that you could translate a bit of the stuff on his death, was it an accident in England or was he killed "in the field" with SOE.

Comment

Hi Pete,
            He was killed in action in Belgium. He must have been on a mission.
            If he was taken prisoner he would have died in a concentration camp, 50% of the Belgian SOE died ! !
            I don't have a lot of info on the Belgian SOE, I know a few veterans personal but they don't know much about their comrades, I mean they only know about their own actions.
            I know some of them went to the SAARF (Special Alled Airborne Reconnaissance Force) begin 1945.

Cheers,
            Marc

Originally posted by MerchantSeaman
            Thanks for that Marc, I had guessed it might be a "roman-candle" chute but thats fascinating to know the real facts.

I see you have a copy of the same card as me (Picquart)
            So the S.S.A. is a sort of SOE thing is it, is Adjutant a Warrant Officer rank as in the French & Belgian Army ??
            Do you reckon that you could translate a bit of the stuff on his death, was it an accident in England or was he killed "in the field" with SOE.

Comment

Marc and Pete: great stuff - really very interesting.

Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X