Rare item ......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare item ......

but what is it? Anyone know? Have a guess!?

Para disc

Luminous para disc ?

Gary J.

Comment

Dam you Gary!!!! I was hoping it might stump people for a while and I could have some fun with it. Fair play for getting it so quick! I`ll post some more photos.

Comment

Reverse, Sorry its a bit blurry. Dated 1942 and marked RLI. It has a faint Canadian C Broad Arrow stamp present. I think these were issued to US, British and Canadian Troops. I know for sure that S.A.S. troops got them hence my interest

Comment

and finally its original brown suede pouch.

Comment

Hi Des, a nice item and complete with the pouch

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

GREAT ITEM DES
              CONGR.
              Marc b

Comment

Nice piece..

Des,
                Nice to see an original one ...considering the amount of repro's about ..

Gary J.

Originally posted by Des Thomas
                Dam you Gary!!!! I was hoping it might stump people for a while and I could have some fun with it. Fair play for getting it so quick! I`ll post some more photos.

Comment

Gary, are you sure it's original?
                  Marc b

Originally posted by Gary Jucha
                  Des,
                  Nice to see an original one ...considering the amount of repro's about ..

Gary J.

Comment

sorry Des

Ofcourse it is original, but I know how difficult it is to get someting form you
                    And that's another joke ofcourse.
                    You did a good job in Canada Thanks again ! !
                    marc b

Comment

Night Owl !

Hello Marc,
                      You must be a "night owl" ... considering your an hour on in Belgium....

If your over in England next May (7th 8th), there's a Military event going off in my area in England at Spanhoe airfield .... (if your interested in having a stall ??)

See the following :
                      http://www.operationspanhoe.co.uk/

(Sorry Ade for the blatant advertising !!!)

Regards

Gary J.

Originally posted by marc b
                      sorry Des

Ofcourse it is original, but I know how difficult it is to get someting form you
                      And that's another joke ofcourse.
                      You did a good job in Canada Thanks again ! !
                      marc b

Comment

Interesting item, Des. How were they employed? From the construction I am guessing simply pinned to the uniform...am I correct?

Would they have been worn after landing to help ID other paras, etc?

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys!

Adam, I believe they were mostly employed to id equipment dropped on DZ`s at night. When used that way I think they were sewn/tied on with the thread/string going through the two holes?

I also think they were pinned to the back of uniforms so guys following could not lose the man ahead in a night patrol?

There is a famous story of a Belgian SAS guy tossing one of these discs up and down every few minutes while on night patrol in a wooded area so the rest of the guys following could`nt get lost. Must have been both weird and funny to see a hopping light ahead

Also, the Luminous part of the disc no longer works after 60 years.
                          I tried it

.................................................. .................................................. ..
                          Interesting item, Des. How were they employed? From the construction I am guessing simply pinned to the uniform...am I correct?

Would they have been worn after landing to help ID other paras, etc?

Cheers,

Adam[/QUOTE]

Comment

Hi Des, have you tried holding the disc underneath a light bulb for a minute, then turning out the light? Try this at night. Often they will glow then.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

A very nice item Des

As Ade says, you have to hold it under a light first?

I wouldn't want to own one of these, considering their radioactive content

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X