a Captain on the Arctic Convoys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a Captain on the Arctic Convoys

Captain Black was a Master on the Arctic convoys in WW2, he went to sea in 1919 aged 18 and passed his 2nd Mates exam in March 1930, 1st Mate in July 1932 ansd Masters in Nov 1935. He was 1st Mate of the "Voreda" when she bombed and sunk in Jan 1940 and also survived the loss of the "Empire Otter" in Feb 1941.

In command of the "Empire Portia" he took her to Russia where she was bombed and set on fire by Stukas and JU88's. He was awarded the OBE and also the Red Star by the Soviet authorities. Captain Black survived the war and retired in Oct 1967. The following year he went into hospital for a dental operation and died under anaesthetic.
    Attached Files

Last edited by Rick Research; 10-23-2004, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Hi Rick

I dont know, there were several original pieces of paperwork with the group or I wouldnt have got it (none Russian) but not the red book you see with these occasionally in Soviet medal/document groups.

Comment

I'm very fond of British/Commonwealth groups that include "foreign" awards and decorations...and this is a very nice one indeed! Would it be safe to assume Capt. Black would have also qualified for the Soviet 40th Anniversary Medal for his part in the convoys? From my (albeit limited) knowledge of WWII Navy medal entitlements I would think that he would have been entitled had he survived to recieve this medal...I am unsure whether next of kin were able to apply for the medal.

A great group, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

a

Comment

He would have qualified for certain but he died 1968 and when I bought this privately there wasnt one with it, they only mentioned his Russian medal in passing and I nearly missed out on it, it had been something that his relatives children played with and he apparently had no time for the Russians (or the medal).

I didnt add a 40th Anniv medal as it doesnt seem kosher otherwise, I like to keep stuff in pretty much the same state as I get it, as you'll see when I post a photo of another group shortly.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X