Sustained Bravery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sustained Bravery

Here is a group which I really like. John Ormandy was a Greaser (Oiler) born in Liverpool in 1883 he went to sea c.1897 (aged 14) after running away to sea with his brother. Serving through the Great War 1914/18 aboard Admiralty fleet oilers he served across the globe from the China Station, the South Atlantic and in Home and Mediterranean waters wherever the fleet was, during this time a ship (as yet unidentified) was torpedoed beneath him and he spent several days in an open boat. John Ormandy remained at sea between the wars serving mainly aboard Cunard/White Star liners and just a couple of days into the Second World War he was one of the crew fortunate to survive the loss of the "Bosnia" when she was torpedoed by Gunther Prien's U47 on 5 Sep 1939.

He returned to the sea again and in March 1941 was serving aboard the "Andalusian" when she was torpedoed and sunk by another ace boat U106. Again John Ormandy survived and was rescued. His bravery and example was finally recognised on 25 June 1947 when in the London Gazette an award of the B.E.M. was announced. John Ormandy was still serving at sea in 1950, aged 67, when he died after an accident in the engine room of the "Caroline M" 29 Dec 1950.

An outstanding man, one of many seamen who had a similar record of service.
    Attached Files

try again

lets see if it'll attach this time
    Attached Files

Comment

meet 735677 John Ormandy
      Attached Files

Comment

An extremely thought provoking group, thanks for sharing it. You must be very proud to have such a rack to an exceptional man. Over 50 years at sea.
        I'm glad to see that his dedication was recognised with a B.E.M.
        Must have started when the men were made of steel and the ships of wood, now they make steel ships .

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean
          An extremely thought provoking group, thanks for sharing it. You must be very proud to have such a rack to an exceptional man. Over 50 years at sea.
          I'm glad to see that his dedication was recognised with a B.E.M.
          Must have started when the men were made of steel and the ships of wood, now they make steel ships .
          I Agree.

Quite incredible. Makes you realise how cosseted we have become and how tough people were only one or two generations ago.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

there is the truth mate,

this chap here is Edward Gardner, he was awarded the 1939/45 Star, Atlantic Star, Africa Star, Italy Star and War Medal. Born in Newcastle 1899 he served briefly in the Army but the discipline "didnt agree with him" so he went AWOL and enlisted in the Royal Navy where he served for about a year 1918/19. I havent found out what he was up to until 1930 but he jumped the quay and joined the Merchant Navy as a Fireman (stoking the boilers). He survived the torpedo attack and loss of "Empire Dryden" during the war and spent 16 days in an open boat before being rescued. After a week ashore he went back to sea and remained in the MN until 1954.
            Attached Files

Comment

accompanied by loads of original paperwork
              Attached Files

Comment

Two terrific groups, Pete! I echo the sentiments of Jim and Guy - these men were hard, plain and simple. I can just imagine what was going through Ormandy's head when the Andalusian started going down beneath him "Bloody Hell...not THIS again?!" And I definitely wouldn't want to annoy Gardner dockside late at night...

Comment

Fantastic groups Pete!

I have long thought that MN groups have been much underrated...and you have provided two more examples why this simply should not be so!

Really great stuff I will continue to read your posts as I can't wait to learn more about these brave men and their service.

Thanks for sharing and keep it coming!

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X