Gallantry at sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gallantry at sea

I'm very pleased to find this forum, hello guys !

I collect medals to merchant seamen and I particularly like gallantry groups. I'll try to attach some pictures of a group to a seaman who was awarded the Lloyds War Medal and a Kings Commendation for Brave Conduct. He remained aboard a ship which had been torpedoed by a U-boat, it was sinking beneath his feet while he struggled to free other trapped seamen.

Originally posted by MerchantSeaman
    I'm very pleased to find this forum, hello guys !

I collect medals to merchant seamen and I particularly like gallantry groups. I'll try to attach some pictures of a group to a seaman who was awarded the Lloyds War Medal and a Kings Commendation for Brave Conduct. He remained aboard a ship which had been torpedoed by a U-boat, it was sinking beneath his feet while he struggled to free other trapped seamen.
    If you have problems - just email them to me and I'll post them for you...nice to see you here!

Welcome aboard!
    Geoff

(by the way guys....MerchantSeaman knows his stuff...and not a bad guy either! )

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Last edited by Rick Research; 10-23-2004, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Nice pic !

Just registering my membership and kindly Geoff will be posting some pics for me in the meantime

Comment

the medals
            Attached Files
            Last edited by MerchantSeaman; 10-16-2004, 07:26 AM. Reason: trying to attach pics

Comment

another pic - it seems I can only attach one pic per post
              Attached Files

Comment

try one of the naming
                Attached Files

Comment

another
                  Attached Files

Comment

Last edited by Rick Research; 10-24-2004, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Hi Rick

the Lloyds Medals (various different types) are long established - 100 years some types, issued by Lloyds of London the shipping insurers, all named in this style, all are detailed in the book by Jim Gawler (of Lloyds) and the Lloyds War Medal for Bravery is covered in several books.

They were instituted by Lloyds as they recognised that there was insufficient recognition for merchant seamen in the forms of medals. There are Lloyds Medals for Meritorious Service (mostly for saving the ship and/or cargo in mega storms, etc, but some for fighting off u-boats with ships guns) and Lloyds Medals for Saving Life at Sea and Lloyds War Medals for Bravery (WW2 era) which have some SUPERB citations.

They are well detailed in Medals Yearbooks, etc.

Comment

Hello Pete, and welcome aboard!

That is a fantastic MN group! Although not in my personal areas of interest I have always admired the Lloyd's medals and find them to be very attractive pieces. You are quite right that many of them come with very impressive citations.

I look forward to seeing more items from your collection.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

thanks Adam

I'll load some more stuff later ranging from relatively mundane groups with interesting stories up to some Mercantile Marine and Merchant Navy DSC groups. I'll nip down to the bank next week and get them out of my steel box to photograph them.

Comment

Here is a Lloyds Medal for Saving Life at Sea (Bronze) with an engraves silver cigarette case to a seaman who was aboard a tiny ships boat in a huge storm when they saved the lives of the crew of a sinking ship.
                            Attached Files

Comment

and a Lloyds Silver Medal for Meritorious Service, often presented to Masters and senior officers who saved their ship in serious storms or for evading u-boats in gun battles, etc.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X