EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelson - Trafalgar Wallhanger Question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ade - Thanks! I hope he does? From the years of use and size of the British fleet during this period, I would imagine the NGS medal would be fairly scarce, but obtainable? Clasped NGS for Trafalgar...well, now I understand his concern!

Regards,
    Gary

Comment

Naval General Service Medal 1793-1840

The NGS was a retrospective award for those who'd served in myriad of battles, cutting out & boat actions - real Hornblower stuff. It wasn't authorised until 1847 - well after many eligible individuals had cashed their chips in (and also explaining Vicky's turnip on the front). However, a surprising number of claimants received the medal - some clasps (of which there are 'no fewer than' 230) are exceptionally rare. It was not awarded to next-of-kin, the claimant having to be still drawing breath.

Just under 21,000 were awarded - which is still quite a lot considering the time lapse of forty-odd years since the bulk of actions commemorated took place. But when one considers the size of the British fleet - and the numbers of men involved (around seven hundred men on a 3rd Rate 74-gun ship-of-the-line), maybe not too surprising.

The clasps read like a Jack Aubrey book. The Glorious First of June, Copenhagen, Camperdown, The Nile, The Saints, Trafalgar - they're all there. One of 'The Big Four' of British medals (the others being Waterloo, MGS & Army of India), they are highly desirable and prices can go orbital at auction. I remember being able to pick up a Syria clasped medal for £140 not that long ago. Don't leave home with less than £500 these days.

One day.... one day! (We need a faith & blind hope smiley)

[Image courtsey of FJP Auctions]
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Tony Farrell; 10-31-2004, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Tony - Thanks for the history behind this Naval medal. I assume it was possible for one person to hold more than one clasp then? Any guess on how many of the 21,000 medals are accounted for and do they show up for sale or on auction very often? Are there fakes of the medals and clasps known to exist? Can you tell me if there is a site or somewhere I can look at the different clasps?

Regards,
        Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X