Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF War Service Dress Blouse with Aircrew Insignia

Heej fellow collectors,

i saw this wonderfull DB and want to know what you think about it.
    I'm Dutch so thats the reason why i'm very intrested in this.
    Did these insignia combination really occur?
    I'm sure about originallity of the DB.
    The award is the Dutch Flying Cross.

Flight Sgts did appear with the insignia combo of brass crown with chevron, if that's what you're asking about. The part that I find odd is the placement of the shoulder title NETHERLANDS which should be above the eagle

Comment

Tread carefully.

You are correct Mike, the placement of the national titles is unusual to the extent i've not seen a similar placing, birdie over title. I can't comment on the originality of the pilot's badge but it certainly deserves a hands on examination.

I would certainly be cautious about spending money on this as there seem to be more than a few 1945 dated blouses being made up to represent rare configurations and being sold on various dealer sites.

Comment

Thankyou Mike & wangganui.

Another wise lesson learnd today!

Comment

Pilot wing is definitely a good one, but I think it's a badged up surplus BDU

Comment

The medal ribbon is that of the DFC or AFC (difficult to tell the colours from the photo). Either way, both of them were only awarded to those of Warrant Officer or commissioned officer rank. A flight sergeant would not be entitled to the award.

As it is also a pin-back ribbon (very much a modern type of fixing in RAF circles), I would hand on heart say this is purely a knocked up jacket although the sergeants chevrons may be original to the jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by skypilot View Post
              The medal ribbon is that of the DFC or AFC (difficult to tell the colours from the photo). Either way, both of them were only awarded to those of Warrant Officer or commissioned officer rank. A flight sergeant would not be entitled to the award.

As it is also a pin-back ribbon (very much a modern type of fixing in RAF circles), I would hand on heart say this is purely a knocked up jacket although the sergeants chevrons may be original to the jacket.
              It's a Dutch Flying Cross....Still referred to as a DFC I guess......but not the RAF one

Comment

Thankyou this is really good to read, learning alot from this!

Comment

HI good morning , I fully agree there has been a sudden influx of RAF aircrew BDs` coming on to the market alot of them like this example would benifit from a hands on inspection , however - to bring some balance here before any comments are made about this Dutch RAF battle dress and it gets trashed on this forum the seller quite openly and honestly states he things the badge were added post war

Comment

Thanks Michael, I appreciate your intervention. That is exactly what I said.

http://www.themilitariadealers.com/shop.php

Discussion is a healthy thing, as long as we have all the facts.

The question originally asked was "Did the combination occur?"

Best regards to all.

Simon
                    Last edited by lanners55; 08-30-2013, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Gentlemen. I've just received this wartime image from a collector friend in Holland. The configuration on the blouse is correct, with the Netherlands title sitting below the eagle.

Best regards,

Simon
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well that's neat!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X