Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campaign Star Clasp Question

Hi all,

How were the clasps awarded to Commonwealth / Canadian Veterans? Were they presented separately and left up to the individual to sew onto the applicable medal ribbon?

I saw a post below that had a Canadian Group with a Maple Leaf Clasp sewn onto an Atlantic Star and not onto the Canadian Volunteer medal as it should have been.

Would this be why some wierd examples exist where an AIR CREW EUROPE CLASP was attached to a FRANCE AND GERMANY STAR for example?

Thanks.

Canadians were issued their WWII Stars and Medals in small, white cardboard boxes, with separate box for each medal. (about the size of a matchbox for wooden matches but flatter) These boxes were usually stamped on the lid portion identifying which medal it contained. As for clasps these came in tiny labelled envelopes and had to be sewn on to the particular medals. I believe the envelopes were enclosed in the small boxes when mailed out to the recipients. Veterans received a pamphlet instructing them on the proper method of mounting and wear, although sometimes this was not followed as we know.

British recipients had their Stars and Medals mailed out in a larger cardboard box which contained either condolence slip (named) for the NOK or a similar form indicating what the medals were for and which clasps and ribbons corresponded to the medals. Again it was up to the recipient to have the medals mounted up as he/she desired.

I will try to dig up some photos of these boxes for comparison purposes.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Hello Adam. Where've you been hiding?

Comment

Here is a scan of a Battle of Britain Bar and the envelope as awarded to Canadians. I don't have any images of the boxes themselves handy and my scannner is down at the moment but will try to get some later if people would like to see.

Tony: Hi mate I've been a bit busy "protecting democracy" Should have a bit more time to participate on the forum for the next little while...what's new and exciting!?

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Forgot the photo! Here we go...
          Attached Files

Comment

Adam,

I have a couple of boxes at home. Two of them (Air Crew Europe Star and War Medal awarded to KIA Gordon Knupp (May 09, 1944).

Gordon's War Medal:

Gordon's War Medal Box of Issue:

Gordon's Air Crew Europe Star:

Gordon's Air Crew Europe Star Box of Issue:

Gordon's Wartime Picture:

Another Interesting Piece.
            His Observer Badge and Award Box 1:

Another View:

Also here is the official Booklet that came with awards (showing correct methods and award prerequesites:

Comment

Exactly! Those are the Canadian type issue boxes. One finds them for all the stars, CVSM, War and Defence Medals.

I've seen envelopes for the "Battle of Britain" Star (mine as above, only one I've personally encountered), CVSM "Overseas" bar and I'm sure others exist for the other clasps. I may have seen some but do not recall precisely.

Your gongs look good. Do you have the Memorial Cross or Birks bar to add something named to the group?

As an aside, the Birks-made wings are "Operational Wings" and signify the completion of 30 missions, a small bar was added below the wing (suspended) after completing 60 missions.

Cheers!

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam J. Haslett
                Your gongs look good. Do you have the Memorial Cross or Birks bar to add something named to the group?

As an aside, the Birks-made wings are "Operational Wings" and signify the completion of 30 missions, a small bar was added below the wing (suspended) after completing 60 missions.

Cheers!

Adam
                Unfortunately I don't have his memorial cross ... that may have been part of the set that the remaining relatives did not want to part with.

Thanks for the info on the Operational Wings. I didnt know this. Cool. Wow 30 missions huh? Amazing. Interesting he was still flying after 30 missions. Being new to this part of the war ... didn't Canadian / Commonwealth's have some number of missions where the individuals could return home? Similar to the USA?

Comment

They had to serve one tour of and then if they wished they could go back for more! I have a couple of uniform groupings of guys with the 'Ops' Clasp and Bar.
                  I have a Uniform for a BoB pilot named Basil Martin Bush and he ended up doing 5 tours of duty but no Ops clasp as the Brits didn't award them.

Cheers
                  Gary

Originally posted by h009291
                  Unfortunately I don't have his memorial cross ... that may have been part of the set that the remaining relatives did not want to part with.

Thanks for the info on the Operational Wings. I didnt know this. Cool. Wow 30 missions huh? Amazing. Interesting he was still flying after 30 missions. Being new to this part of the war ... didn't Canadian / Commonwealth's have some number of missions where the individuals could return home? Similar to the USA?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X