Need Help Finding Info On Hospital Ship Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postmortem Kit

Well, I think I finally answered the question about what this set of needles is. I believe it's a postmortem kit. Here are some examples, from the 1800s until now.http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...1&d=1384296620
    Attached Files

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...1&d=1384296673
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi

Very interested in getting in contact with you regarding HMS Plassy.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Andrew

Comment

As has been pointed out, the resemblance between upholstery needles and surgical needles is very strong. because they were both used for putting thread or catgut into and through surfaces which were not flat - like sails - and couldn't be easily turned over - like bodies and sofas. Post mortem needles are simply surgical needles used on dead patients! Probably larger, for convenience and because the subject would be unlikely to complain about the scarring! The size might be a clue but surgical needles came in many sizes, some of which almost certainly overlapped the upholstery needles.

The Red Cross and St. John's Ambulance combined forces during WWI and did service, among other places, on hospital trains in France and England and on hospital ships. The badges were used as a means of identifying the personnel as non-combatants. I have recently seen a photo of SJA volunteers on a hospital train in France - still looking for it - and there is one example of the badge in the Oxford University archives [http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ww1lit/gwa/...SOBOX=1&REC=2]

Hope this is of some help.

Peter

Comment

Thank you, Peter. New member, Andrew, who posted just before you, has just sent me an email showing the instruction manual for Royal Navy sick berth staff on hospital ships, which has drawings showing the needles - emphasizing the use of large ones - used after post mortem examinations. They are apparently the same needles as the ones I have. His great grandfather was also with the St. Johns Ambulance Brigade, and on the HMHS Plassy as well. He has his diary and is writing a book about him.
            So I have struck gold! As you have suggested, and Andrew has confirmed, St. Johns Ambulance Brigade people did work on hospital ships, and they did work at jobs that probably included sewing up deceased casualties after post mortem exams, with the kinds of needles I have. I'm also now able to identify some of the staff in the photo I have, namely Andrew's great grandfather and grandfather, who served on the Plassy together.
            Many, many thanks to Peter and Andrew.
            Last edited by SteelhelmJim; 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Excellent! It's always a special day when you make a connection like that. Good luck with your further research.
              Peter

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X