X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Book: Denison

Hello All,

Just seen this new book: Denison
    Has anyone seen it and is it worth getting??

Cheers!
    Attached Files

I have in my collection its a Nice complete book on the Denison. Beautyfull detailed pictures. Starting with the jacket parachutist and ending with the latest version of the smock.

They are also working on a new book About airborne head dress.

Comment

Great book,focusing mainly on the early versions of the Denison smock.
      A must for anyone interested in the subject.

Comment

Denison Book

Hey guys, where can I buy this book?

Comment

I couldn't find it in the US. I'm going to get my copy from clementsmilitaria. I bought a book from him before and his packing was very good.

Comment

Availability

I work in a London bookshop and we stock this book & other Military Mode publications, all excellent books detailing rare examples with superb photo reproduction. Money well spent!!

Comment

Just got my copy of Denison and am really happy!

It has taken a long time for a book such as this to be written, due In the main to an extreme paucity of Information pertaining to these smocks. This, allied with years and years of conjecture at the hands of collectors has conspired to make this the murkiest of subjects.

Bruce and his colleagues at Military Mode have really gone all out In an attempt to shed some light and their research has garnered some pretty spectacular results; from original documentation pertaining to the materials used during construction to new theories on how the fabric may have been printed. Plus a whole myriad of Information and examples that have not been seen until now. As they are at pains to point out they do not have all the answers and there Is still much research to be done, but what they have achieved thus far Is highly Impressive.

The book Is a large format which allows one to appreciate the beautiful photography and the quality of the Items shown. Indeed, unlike many such publications which are simply catalogues of an authors collection, this book Is at pains to show provenanced examples and to Illustrate the stories of the heroes that wore them.

Weather you are a beginner or a seasoned collector of many years standing, this book has something for you and will I am sure become an Invaluable tool in any reference library It graces. Well done chaps!

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Really looking towards their upcoming "British Airborne Headress" book.

Cheers!

Comment

Nice book. Well worth getting.

The author is a member here.

Comment

Is there also something on the WW2 windproof clothing?

Comment

Good book?

I am presently writing an article on world camouflage and the history of camouflage clothing. This looks like a great reference work.

I noted that the author states that there is much more research to be done. Again it is a shame that there is not more documented evidence.

I was wondering if there is any documentation behind the name "Denison".

Also regarding how the material was printed. I have been doing a lot of industrial research here in Canada and have come across some interesting images of camouflage being machine printed in 1940-41 in Montreal. It is obvious from these images that the material was not machine printed. The camo pattern firstly is too large and there would be obvious repeats in the pattern. That basically leaves screen and hand dying. I still cant image using screen printing to reproduce such a complicated and finite pattern that does not repeat.

Other evidence is the dying of the camouflage oversuit used by SOE. It is a FACT that these were not "printed" by machine either. THis is because some examples of the SOE suits were already made before they were dyed. You can see this in how the pattern is dyed on to the suit.

I have documents discussing the 59 Ptn and they state that they did not want to retain the "Denison" because it was so complicated to make. If it was machine printed or even screen printed, how complicated could that be ?

Anyway I agree more research needs to be done. I have not seen this book yet but I would be very interested if there was documented evidence of the existence of a "Major Denison" and the actual manufacturing process. A recent thread about Windak AM smocks further complicates things. Were these a separate garment made AFTER the Army and AM developed the Denison or ???

Anyway I am sure it is a great book and worth having. I am going to buy one.

Ken

Originally posted by Wally Parr View Post
                      Hello All,

Just seen this new book: Denison
                      Has anyone seen it and is it worth getting??

Cheers!

Comment

This book is FANTASTIC.

owen

Comment

Originally posted by kammo man View Post
                          This book is FANTASTIC.

owen
                          What Owen said ^^

Here's an image to get you thinking: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/15716

Comment

Agree a very interesting book on the subject

Phil.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X