Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Paratroopers Battledress.

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine has a very nice 37 pattern Battle Dress belonging, I think, to a very early para. The BD it's self is a nice early one with an unlined collar. This and other factors point to it not being later that about 1940. It sports embroidered Airborne Arcs, printed pegasuses and a jump wing. In my opinion this would make the piece approximately mid 1941. The bd has seen a lot of wear, far more than is apparent in the photos, and the insignia seem to have been in situ for ever. what is stumping me (I am a total duffer with service numbers) is where this chap is likely to have started his service. Inside the piece bears the name and number; GNR Lyons J.M. 912377. I was once told that 9 prefix service numbere were reserved for volunteers, weather there is any truth in this I do not know. As his name carries the rank prefix GNR would he have been RA or somesuch?

Your help is much appreciated in this matter.

yours, Guy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guy; 10-08-2004, 06:09 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Sure is a stunning setup

Comment

Hi Guy, the chap was indeed a Gunner in the RA. Royal Artillery service numbers ran from 721,001 to 1,842,000. One day I will add a full list of service numbers and pin it to the top pf the forum

Are the stripes the printed pattern too?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Stevenson
            Hi Guy, the chap was indeed a Gunner in the RA. Royal Artillery service numbers ran from 721,001 to 1,842,000. One day I will add a full list of service numbers and pin it to the top pf the forum

Are the stripes the printed pattern too?

Cheers, Ade.
            Hi Ade,

Thank you very much for that. It would be great to have an accurate list of service numbers to refer to. I am still using the old Davis book, which, whilst it is a superb reference is a bit lacking in some departments.

Yes the stripes are the printed variants and it has a machine gunners trade badge on the arm. The beret came with it and it is a really superb set; can't convince my mate to sell it to me though .

Thanks for all your help, Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
              Hi Ade,
              The beret came with it and it is a really superb set; can't convince my mate to sell it to me though .

Thanks for all your help, Guy.
              Hi Guy,
              That is a most impressive uniform, I just love to see the AAC cap badge used by a parachutist! A very shortlived practice.
              Cheers, Luc

Comment

Hi Luc,

I agree, these early uniforms are incredibly rare in an originally badged state. I would love to own it .

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Yes, Guy, I can only agree

Don't worry about owning it, Anthony is coming to my house soon, so I can work out something with him!

PS That's a joke! I can't wait to see it though...

Comment

Very nice. The R over the broadarrow (as shown in the sales thread) would date it to 1939.

Jerry

Comment

This is an old thread, but the battledress now resides in my collection and I am wondering if anyone knows what happened to the beret from this group?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X