British/Canadian Militaria SOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British/Canadian Militaria SOS

I recently received a bag of British/Canadian stuff to sell for a friend. This in no way is my area of expertise and was wondering if someone could date some of these pieces specifically the shoulder boards and belt buckle and if possible a rough value that is fair, I'm not looking to cheat someone.

Thanks,
    B

B

The picture quality is not good but most of it looks modern to me. possible exceptions are the shoulder boards and the single pips. The rest is, I think, modern but for full dress uniforms - the embroidered grenades for example. Prices are up and down on the stuff, depending on who's selling it, but nothing I see here looks to be worth very much. I'm guessing most may be in the $10.00-$50.00 but you'd be better to browse eBay and some of the Cdn dealers. If you sell to a dealer, don't count on any more than 20-40% of what they charge for a similar item. Unless its a real rarity, and none of these appear to be, its a mug's game trying to make money privately. Sorry!

Peter

Comment

Mate, hold on to that stuff, soon you'll be able to sell it to a Regimental kit shop or serving soldier when it goes back into formal wear again! Well, sort of.....in modernized versions. The Pips should be quite popular in Canada

Regards,

Pete

Comment

The DHRC cap badge is the Dufferin & Haldimand Rifles of Canada, 1936-1946. DHRC was converted to artillery regiment in 1946. Value is about $20-$25 CDN if/when they sell. The bronze Ubique collars look like the Geo. V type, used by both the Royal Canadian Artillery & Corps of Engineers early 1920s. Given their company, I'd guess artillery in this case. Nice collar pair, but no idea of value. Charlton's catalogue put them at about $10 ea., but that's 1995. RCHA shoulder titles would be Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. Would be helpful to have pics of the backs, as maker marks and lug appearance would help date them. Same goes for the King's Crown belt buckle (pre-1953) and shoulder boards.

I can't make out any button detail, but the lower, small button looks like it has an Essex crest on it. Essex Scottish? Bit of an anomaly given the company.

As Peter noted, there is some Queen's Crown (post-53) stuff, but I'm guessing it is only the one artillery beret badge, the bullion collars and single shiny RCHA shoulder on the right (prob. all originally from one person's set).

You'd get better info on things like the shoulder boards from the BCMBF (http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php). By the way, the Canadian Forces just announced that rank pips are being reinstated: they haven't been used since unification.

All told, to me it looks like the bag of goodies is all connected to a single serviceman in the RCA. Your friend have a name to go with it that would confirm that?

Comment

Just got off the horn with my buddy, he said the lot of it came from a local garage sale (all in one bag). I do appreciate the very helpful run down of everything and a rough price for some of the pieces. Below I'm posting a detail of the reverse sides you asked for.

Best,
          B

Originally posted by DaveS View Post
          The DHRC cap badge is the Dufferin & Haldimand Rifles of Canada, 1936-1946. DHRC was converted to artillery regiment in 1946. Value is about $20-$25 CDN if/when they sell. The bronze Ubique collars look like the Geo. V type, used by both the Royal Canadian Artillery & Corps of Engineers early 1920s. Given their company, I'd guess artillery in this case. Nice collar pair, but no idea of value. Charlton's catalogue put them at about $10 ea., but that's 1995. RCHA shoulder titles would be Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. Would be helpful to have pics of the backs, as maker marks and lug appearance would help date them. Same goes for the King's Crown belt buckle (pre-1953) and shoulder boards.

I can't make out any button detail, but the lower, small button looks like it has an Essex crest on it. Essex Scottish? Bit of an anomaly given the company.

As Peter noted, there is some Queen's Crown (post-53) stuff, but I'm guessing it is only the one artillery beret badge, the bullion collars and single shiny RCHA shoulder on the right (prob. all originally from one person's set).

You'd get better info on things like the shoulder boards from the BCMBF (http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php). By the way, the Canadian Forces just announced that rank pips are being reinstated: they haven't been used since unification.

All told, to me it looks like the bag of goodies is all connected to a single serviceman in the RCA. Your friend have a name to go with it that would confirm that?

Comment

Belt buckle looks to be a general service buckle. Could be British. I'd expect to see a Scully maker mark if it was Canadian. Not artillery, at any rate. Re the shoulder titles, a bit of a mixed bag. Looks like 1 1/2 pairs WWII titles (the heavier copper wire lugs, #1, 2 & 4, counting from top of the stack, with #s 2 & 4 the matching pair), and a later, post-WWII title with the thinner wire lug (#5). The smaller title (#3) looks WWII as well, just a smaller version. Think you'd be lucky to get about $8-$10 a pair. Again, looks to me like there is value in keeping certain items together, like the QC beret badge, bullion collars and the one post-war title (the shoulder boards I'd guess go with those, but they would be nice to sell as a set themselves -- probably the best items there). The belt buckle strikes me as a Sesame Street 'one of these things is not like the other, one of these things doesn't belong' item, and probably not all that valuable -- maybe $10-$15 if you could sell it. The bronze artillery collars are nice as a pair, too. Single rank pips are kind of a dime a dozen.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X