Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help In Identifying WWI/WWII Era Military Family Heirlooms

Introduction
    Greetings to everybody, I'm a new member here and would appreciate some help with this task.

My family received these heirlooms in a box from my Grandparents on my father's side. They once belonged to Mark Ryan Cordy (my Great Grandfather), a Canadian veteran of both World Wars. In all the small box contained 69 distinct items, not all of whom were related to his Military service. My Dad wants to put them on display with little caption boxes to describe each. We already have a WWII Era German Compass and two Allied Motor Shells. I have identified most of the items, but some still remain a mystery to me. Now as this is a history site, I though some of my more knowledgeable fellow residents here could help me out in identifying the ones I could not do so myself.

=========================================

A Numbered Image of All the Items:
    http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1747/yymb.jpg

A few of the Items Up Close:
    http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/7739/qvs2.jpg

=========================================

The List of Items:

White = I'm positive that this is correct.
    Yellow = I'm not so sure about this.
    Cyan = I have no freaking clue.

01. British War Medal (Sash Only) (1919)
    02. Military Medal (for bravery in the field) (Sash Only) (1916)
    03. Best Shot Patch (1935)
    04. Staff Sergeant Patch / 3 or 4 Years of Service? (xxxx)
    05. ???????? (xxxx)
    06. ???????? (xxxx)
    07. Victory Medal (Inter-Allied War Medal) (Sash Only) (1919)
    08. 3rd Canadian Division / Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Patch (WWI)
    09. Canadian ArmouCyan Corps Patch (WWII)
    10. Queen’s Own Rifles Member Service Medal ("Rely Open" is Printed on the back)? (1925)
    11. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Patch (xxxx)
    12. ???????? (xxxx)
    13. Bydand (Steadfast) Cap Badge Of The Gordon Highlanders (A reference to a type of Scottish Dance or the Scottish Clan Gordon) / (Possibly also a variant of the logo for the Canadian South Alberta Light Horse Primary Reserve)? (xxxx)
    14. The Midland Regiment (Northumberland & Durham) (Cap Badge) (1936)
    15. Canadian Corps of Commissionaires Cap Badge (A organization whose aim is to help Veterans enter the Hostel/Hotel Industry) (xxxx)
    16. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Service Cap Badge? (xxxx)
    17. Royal Canadian Armoued Corps Cap Badge (xxxx)
    18. The Ontario Regiment (Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment based in Oshawa, ON / 11th Armoured Regiment) (Cap Badge) (WWII)
    19. CNE Musical Medallion? (1931)
    20. The Welch Regiment Cap Badge (British Infantry Regiment) (pre-1929)
    21. Arms of Canada Cap Badge (xxxx)
    22. Royal Canadian Armoured Corps Cap Badge (WWI)
    23. Royal Canadian Army Cadets Pin (xxxx)
    24. The General Service Badge of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (WWI)
    25. Intelligence Corps Officer Cap Badge (British Army Unit Responsible for Espionage) (Possibly WWI)
    26. Warrant Officers' Class I Conductor Cap Badge (c. 1915-1919)
    27. Salvation Army Cap Badge (xxxx)
    28. British Fife and Forfar Yeomanry (79th Armoured Division) Cap Badge (WWII)
    29. Canada Collar Badge (xxxx)
    30. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Collar Badge (xxxx)
    31. BNS? (xxxx)
    32. Canadian 45th Victoria Regiment Officer's Cap Badge (WWI)
    33. The General Service Badge of the Canadian Expeditionary Force? (WWI)
    34. Hamilton Gun Club Pin (xxxx)
    35. Royal Canadian Army Service Corps Cap Badge (WWII)
    36. “When Shall Their Glory Fade” Canada Medal? (WWI)
    37. British Women's Land Army Brooch Pin (WWII)
    38. British Auxiliary Territorial Service Cap Badge (WWII)
    39. Royal Canadian Engineers Cap Badge (WWII)
    40. The Ontario Regiment (Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment based in Oshawa, ON / 11th Armoured Regiment) (Cap Badge) (WWII)
    41. (Jeux) Canada Games Pin (1977)
    42. 30-year Canadian Legion Membership Pin (xxxx)
    43. 45-year Canadian Legion Membership Pin (xxxx)
    44. Firmin & Sons VP Button (What does the VP stand for?) (xxxx)
    45. William Scully Canada Button (xxxx)
    46. Mainviendi? / Temainviend? / temaiiviendi? Button (The lettering is pretty faded. I believe it might be a Latin word.)? (xxxx)
    47. Shell Canada Richard B. Bennett (1930) House of Commons Medal (1975)
    48. Shell Canada Louis St. Laurent (1948) House of Commons Medal (1975)
    49. Toronto Public School Board 4 Years Good Conduct Medal Punctuality Regularity Diligence (c. early 1900s)
    50. Firmin & Sons VP Button (What does the VP stand for?) (xxxx)
    51. William Scully Canada Post Button (xxxx)
    52. British Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry Cap Badge (xxxx)
    53. ???????? (xxxx)
    54. Cufflink (xxxx)
    55. German Empire 5 Peennig Coin (Prussian Coat of Arms on the Reverse) (1918)
    56. Canadian 5 Cents Coin (King George V on the Reverse) (1918)
    57. Canadian Expeditionary Force For Service at the Front Pin (Given to Retries and those were Honourably Discharged) (WWI)
    58. Canadian Red Cross Society Blood Donor Service Pin (xxxx)
    59. 10 Karrot Gold Ring with a N (Created by Bridal ??eath) (xxxx)
    60. United – Carp Canada Button (“Honi soit qui mal y pense / Shamed be he who thinks evil of it”) (xxxx)
    61. BNS Pin? (xxxx)
    62. Canada Service Badge (xxxx)
    63. Canadian Dime (100 years of Confederation Variant) (1967)
    64. Dutch Quarter (Queen Wilhelmina is on the reverse side) (1898)
    65. Cufflink (xxxx)
    66. Canadian General Service Pin (xxxx)
    67. ???????? (xxxx)
    68. Crown (25 Anniversary) Pin? (xxxx)
    69. British For Loyal Service Cap Badge (WWI)

12 is a sew on ribbon for wear on the uniform it has the ribbons for military medal for bravery in the feild british war medal and victory medal i cant tell if the last 2 ribbons are part of the same bar but there the canadian war service ribbon with maple leave(think thats to denote over seas service!) and i think the Territorial Decoration with rossote!

Comment

5= Hankie?
      6 = Canadian Volunteer Service Medal
      44+50 = Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry
      67 = safety Catch for Pin Back Badges
      Last edited by uscob; 07-11-2013, 03:40 AM.

Comment

12. Undress Ribbon bar (Military Medal, British War Medal, WWI Victory Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, Efficiency Medal - rosette equals award of bar - additonal service)

68. Bar to the Efficiency Medal

Comment

Originally posted by Adam H View Post
          12. Undress Ribbon bar (Military Medal, British War Medal, WWI Victory Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, Efficiency Medal - rosette equals award of bar - additonal service)

68. Bar to the Efficiency Medal
          My mistake adam your right its the effiency medal dont know how i mistook it for the Territorial Decoration!

Comment

Thanks for all your help everybody!

Here now is the updated list:

The List of Items:

05. Hankie (xxxx)
            06. Canadian Volunteer Service Medal (Sash Only) (WWII)
            08. 3rd Canadian Division / Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Patch (WWI)
            10. Queen’s Own Rifles Member Service Medal ("Rely Open" is Printed on the back)? (1925)
            11. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Patch (xxxx)
            12. Undress Ribbon bar (Military Medal, British War Medal, WWI Victory Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, Efficiency Medal - rosette equals award of bar - additional service) (xxxx)
            13. Bydand (Steadfast) Cap Badge Of The Gordon Highlanders (A reference to a type of Scottish Dance or the Scottish Clan Gordon) / (Possibly also a variant of the logo for the Canadian South Alberta Light Horse Primary Reserve)? (xxxx)
            15. Canadian Corps of Commissionaires Cap Badge (A organization whose aim is to help Veterans enter the Hostel/Hotel Industry) (xxxx)
            16. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Service Cap Badge? (xxxx)
            18. The Ontario Regiment (Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment based in Oshawa, ON / 11th Armoured Regiment) (Cap Badge) (WWII)
            21. Arms of Canada Cap Badge (xxxx)
            22. Royal Canadian Armoured Corps Cap Badge (WWI)
            23. Royal Canadian Army Cadets Pin (xxxx)
            24. The General Service Badge of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (WWI)
            25. Intelligence Corps Officer Cap Badge (British Army Unit Responsible for Espionage) (Possibly WWI)
            29. Canada Collar Badge (xxxx)
            30. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Collar Badge (xxxx)
            31. BNS? (xxxx)
            32. Canadian 45th Victoria Regiment Officer's Cap Badge (WWI)
            40. The Ontario Regiment (Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment based in Oshawa, ON / 11th Armoured Regiment) (Cap Badge) (WWII)
            44. Firmin & Sons VP (Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) Button (xxxx)
            46. Mainviendi? / Temainviend? / temaiiviendi? Button (The lettering is pretty faded. I believe it might be a Latin word.)? (xxxx)
            49. Toronto Public School Board 4 Years Good Conduct Medal Punctuality Regularity Diligence (c. early 1900s)
            50. Firmin & Sons VP (Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) Button (xxxx)
            53. ???????? (xxxx)
            54. Cufflink (xxxx)
            57. Canadian Expeditionary Force For Service at the Front Pin (Given to Retries and those were Honourably Discharged) (WWI)
            60. United – Carp Canada Button (“Honi soit qui mal y pense / Shamed be he who thinks evil of it”) (xxxx)
            61. BNS Pin? (xxxx)
            62. Canada Service Badge (xxxx)
            65. Cufflink (xxxx)
            66. Canadian General Service Pin (xxxx)
            67. Safety Catch for Pin Back Badges (xxxx)
            68. Efficiency Medal (Bar Only) (WWII)

Comment

#11 Princess Patricia's CLI shoulder title is WWII vintage.
              #16 is the WWI PPCLI badge (and it is upside down).
              #18 Ontario Regiment would have been 1st Canadian Armoured Brigade, WWII. #40 is one of the collars. #53 is the shoulder title.
              #21 was used as a General List officer's cap badge in WWII, and if it is Canadian, should say "Scully" somewhere on the back.
              #22 is WWII, not WWI, and technically is called the Canadian Armoured Fighting Vehicles Training Corps, but was used as Canadian Armoured Corps badge in WWII until the 'fist' badge (same as #17 but with RCAC) was adopted.
              #23 is the plastic (first) version of the Cadets Corps badge, again WWII - 1953.
              #24 is a general list cap badge, worn in WWI but also in early WWII.
              #29 is a generic shoulder title, not a collar. Depending on style & maker, could be WWI, pre-WWII, or WWII. Brass shoulder titles were not worn overseas in WWII, and were replaced with embroidered cloth shoulder flashes (like the PPCLI white-on-red).
              #30 is a PPCLI shoulder title, not a collar badge.
              #31 could be a bank guard badge, not military. Bank of Nova Scotia. #61 is a matching button, BTW.
              #32 is a militia-era (pre-WWI) Victoria Regiment badge. Looks like a collar badge (1 1/4" high). Cap badge would be 1 3/4").
              #62 is the generic Canadian shoulder title from WWI.
              #66 is the discharge pin for service, WWII, and will be numbered on the back.

I'd group certain things, like the PPCLI items (BTW, take good care of the WWI cloth, it's pretty rare), the Ontario Regiment/Armoured Corps items. Some of the stuff, like Legion membership and blood donor pins, are all way post-WWII, and prob. just things picked up along the way, but not war service related. #47 and #48 look like some sort of collector's series Canadian Prime Ministers tokens. can't read the backs in your pic, but if you say they are Shell, probably a promotional premium.

Comment

Thanks for your help Dave. I did not know their was a exact size difference between a collar and cap badge. Unfortunately, the BNS Pin and Button is not coming up when searching for either Bank of Nova Scotia or Bank Guard.

Anyways here now is the updated list:

The List of Items:

05. Hankie (xxxx)
                11. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Shoulder Title (WWII)
                12. Undress Ribbon bar (Military Medal, British War Medal, WWI Victory Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, Efficiency Medal - rosette equals award of bar - additional service) (xxxx)
                16. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Service Cap Badge (WWI)
                18. The Ontario Regiment / 1rst Canadian Armoured Brigade Cap Badge (Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment based in Oshawa, ON) (WWII)
                21. British General Lists Officers' Cap Badge (WWII)
                22. Canadian Armoured Fighting Vehicles Training Corps Cap Badge (WWII)
                23. Royal Canadian Army Cadets Corp Badge (c. WWII - 1953)
                24. Generic List Cap Badge (c. WWI to early WWII)
                29. Canada Generic Collar Badge (c. 1900-1945)
                30. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Shoulder Badge (xxxx)
                31. BNS? (xxxx)
                32. Canadian 45th Victoria Regiment Officer's Collar Badge (pre-WWI)
                40. The Ontario Regiment / 1rst Canadian Armoured Brigade Collar (Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment based in Oshawa, ON) (WWII)
                44. Firmin & Sons VP (Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) Button (xxxx)
                50. Firmin & Sons VP (Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) Button (xxxx)
                53. The Ontario Regiment / 1rst Canadian Armoured Brigade Shoulder Title (Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment based in Oshawa, ON) (WWII)
                54. Cufflink (xxxx)
                61. BNS Pin? (xxxx)
                62. Canada Generic Shoulder Title (WWI)
                65. Cufflink (xxxx)
                66. Canadian Discharge Pin (WWII)

Comment

25. Intelligence Corps Officer Cap Badge. Yes, but all ranks.
                  (British Army Unit Responsible for Espionage) No. Just intelligence
                  (Possibly WWI) No. WW2 to 1952
                  Pete

Comment

I thought item 46 had latin on it and it turns out I was right. The problem is I do not speak latin and so I relied on Google Translate and got these following options:
                    • By Serving the Main
                    • She is Serving
                    • Main Force on the Fifteenth

Unfortunately the latin on the button lacks any spacing and so I do not what, or how many, words are on it.

==========================

And as for the mysterious BNS badge and pin (items 31 and 61) I'm completely at a lost. I feel it has to relate to Nova Scotia, the Maritimes or Merchant Shipping but I can not find anything on the net. I've researched under the following terms:
                    • Bank of Nova Scotia
                    • British Naval Service
                    • Bicentennial of Nova Scotia

==========================

The updated list:

The List of Items:

05. Hankie (xxxx)
                    11. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Shoulder Title (WWII)
                    13. Gordon Highlanders Cap Badge (British Army Infantry Regiment based in Aberdeen, Scotland) (xxxx)
                    16. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Service Cap Badge (WWI)
                    18. The Ontario Regiment / 1rst Canadian Armoured Brigade Cap Badge (Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment based in Oshawa, ON) (WWII)
                    21. British General Lists Officers' Cap Badge (WWII)
                    22. Canadian Armoured Fighting Vehicles Training Corps Cap Badge (WWII)
                    23. Royal Canadian Army Cadets Corp Badge (c. WWII - 1953)
                    24. Generic List Cap Badge (c. WWI to early WWII)
                    25. Intelligence Corps Cap Badge (British Army Unit Responsible for Intelligence) (WWII)
                    29. Canada Generic Collar Badge (c. 1900-1945)
                    30. Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Shoulder Badge (xxxx)
                    31. BNS? (xxxx)
                    32. Canadian 45th Victoria Regiment Officer's Collar Badge (pre-WWI)
                    40. The Ontario Regiment / 1rst Canadian Armoured Brigade Collar (Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment based in Oshawa, ON) (WWII)
                    53. The Ontario Regiment / 1rst Canadian Armoured Brigade Shoulder Title (Primary Reserve armoured reconnaissance regiment based in Oshawa, ON) (WWII)
                    54. Cufflink (xxxx)
                    61. BNS Pin? (xxxx)
                    62. Canada Generic Shoulder Title (WWI)
                    65. Cufflink (xxxx)
                    66. Canadian Discharge Pin (WWII)
                    Last edited by Jonathanrex1; 07-17-2013, 05:25 PM. Reason: Gramar Error.

Comment

Some corrections for you

26 - a Warrant Officer 1st class rank badge worn on the sleeve
                      69 - lapel badge worn on the lapel in civilian dress

Regards

James
                      Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
                      Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
                      Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X