Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Royal Norfolk Regiment - Badge Variations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Royal Norfolk Regiment - Badge Variations.

In 1881 The 9<SUP>th</SUP> Foot became The Norfolk Regiment, & in 1935 were designated The Royal Norfolk Regiment, to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of King George V (1935 was also the 250th anniversary of the formation of the regiment).

The Norfolk Regiment’s cap badge was originally a representation of a seated Britannia within a laurel wreath, with a scroll THE NORFOLK REGT. below.
    The scroll in was in gilding metal & the remainder in white metal.
    In 1937 a new design of badge was sealed, consisting of the seated Britannia in gilding metal, & without the wreath & name scroll.

In about 1950 a smaller pattern of this badge was produced in gilding metal.

In 1958 The Royal Norfolk Regiment joined The East Anglian Brigade & adopted the brigade cap badge.

On 29/8/59 it amalgamated with The Suffolk Regiment to form The 1<SUP>st</SUP> East Anglian Regiment (Royal Norfolk and Suffolk).

Further amalgamation on 1/9/64 saw this regiment become 1<SUP>st</SUP> Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment (Norfolk and Suffolk), the sub-title being omitted as of 1/7/68.

Interestingly, Kipling & King show the cap badge of The East Anglian Brigade as having been sealed on 22/5/58, & that of The Royal Anglian Regiment on 25/3/54 (both badges being anodised). Presumably the date for the Royal Anglian badge is a misprint.

The badges in my collection:

Top left is the bi-metal pattern replaced in about 1937, following the regiment being designated "Royal". K&K 599 refers.

Top centre is the WWI brass economy version worn 1916 - 19. Gaylor page 135 refers.

Top right is the version which was sealed on 21/4/37, following bestowal of the designation "Royal" in 1935. K&K 1976 refers.

Bottom left is the beret badge, sealed on 10/1/50. K&K 1977 refers.

Bottom right is the gold anodised version of the beret badge, sealed 21/4/64. Text to K&K 1977 refers.

As the regiment had adopted the East Anglian Brigade cap badge in 1958 & had ceased to exist in 1959, it is unlikely that the regular battalion wore the anodised version of the beret badge, which was sealed in 1964.

I can find no reference to a WWII plastic economy version or a Gold anodised version of the full size post circa 1937 badge having been produced.
    Attached Files

Hi Leigh,

Nice collection of Norfolks badges you have there. Do you have a yeomanry officers cap badge ( white metal). I recently sold a fabulous Norfolks BD and coloured garrison cap which had the yeomanry badge affixed. There are pictures on my site, but unfortunately I forgot to take any decent detail shots of the cap, and now it's gone, sniff, . As I live in Norfolk, about a mile from Britannia Barracks, I will keep my eyes open for the one you are missing if you would like. You can have my old Anglians staybrite too ,when I find it, if you want. Not very exciting I know but would serve for continuity.

All The Very Best, Guy.

Comment

The only Norfolk Yeomanry badge I've got is the other ranks gilding metal or brass one, the smaller size I think. A problem with their badges is trying to work out if they're Norfolk Yeomanry or Provost Staff, I don't think that there is any discernible difference.
      I've got all of the main types of R. Norfolk other ranks cap badges that I know of (given that there appear to have been no WWII plastic economy or full size anodised badges, I have the anodised East Anglian Bde / East Anglian Regiment badges & the R. Anglian anodised badge, but seemed to have ground to a halt about the time of "Options For Change" in the mid - 90's, so I have'nt got a clue on the more recent R. Anglian insignia - change of metals, plastic, embroidered, whatever.
      It'd be interesting to know what the changes in badges have been over the past 10 years or so, but if I find out about those insignia I'll probably start trying to hunt them down as well.......

Comment

Originally posted by leigh kitchen
        The only Norfolk Yeomanry badge I've got is the other ranks gilding metal or brass one, the smaller size I think. A problem with their badges is trying to work out if they're Norfolk Yeomanry or Provost Staff, I don't think that there is any discernible difference.
        I've got all of the main types of R. Norfolk other ranks cap badges that I know of (given that there appear to have been no WWII plastic economy or full size anodised badges, I have the anodised East Anglian Bde / East Anglian Regiment badges & the R. Anglian anodised badge, but seemed to have ground to a halt about the time of "Options For Change" in the mid - 90's, so I have'nt got a clue on the more recent R. Anglian insignia - change of metals, plastic, embroidered, whatever.
        It'd be interesting to know what the changes in badges have been over the past 10 years or so, but if I find out about those insignia I'll probably start trying to hunt them down as well.......
        LOL, I know what you mean there. Thats the problem with this hobby (especially badge collecting) the end is never in sight. Not sure what has occured over the last 10 years but I could ask friends who are serving when I next see them. Regarding the officers yeomanry badge they will often have a Norwich jewelers logo on the reverse or else are very roughcast at the back. In extreme cases I think people made them themselves. I will try to track down a list of manufacturers.

Yours, Guy

Comment

Norfolk 4th Vol Battn - Helmet, tunic etc group

I have a nice group from this regiment dating pre ww1 I believe that belonged to my great grandfather.

dress tunic
          work tunic
          black short cape
          cork helmet
          white leather belt
          wood canteen
          swagger stick
          spurs
          stirrups
          wooden boot stretchers
          old pic of him in uniform

I'll take some pics and post if anyone is interested in having a look.

Comment

Originally posted by paddle
            I have a nice group from this regiment dating pre ww1 I believe that belonged to my great grandfather.

dress tunic
            work tunic
            black short cape
            cork helmet
            white leather belt
            wood canteen
            swagger stick
            spurs
            stirrups
            wooden boot stretchers
            old pic of him in uniform

I'll take some pics and post if anyone is interested in having a look.
            Dear Paddle,

It would be great to see these items, I look forward to it with much anticipation.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy
              Dear Paddle,

It would be great to see these items, I look forward to it with much anticipation.

Yours, Guy.
              Yes please.......

Comment

Norfolk uniform group pics

Here you go =)
                Do you have any information about this uniform?
                It belonged to my great grandfather John William Paddle. I have a note saying
                "4 V Norfolk Artillery Band 1900" <----- I don't know if this is correct.

I am starting a new thread for the other pics here --->
                http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=69087

John

Last edited by paddle; 10-10-2004, 10:20 PM. Reason: new thread link

Comment

cap badge

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X