Sailor weds in Reval, Estonia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sailor weds in Reval, Estonia.

I never thought that 85 years on I'd be able to indentify the main subjects in this photo.

It's from my Grandfather's album and the back is simply marked 'Reval August 1919'

I was in the PRO last week looking at the Logs of HMS Lucia for 1918 and 1919, really to find out about the correct dates for the surrender of the U98 (Grandad's note on the back of the photo was correct, it surrendered 9th Dec '18 not 16th Jan '19 as stated on a couple of U boat sites). Also what were they doing in Estonia? The Russian Civil War is the answer to that one.

Back to the Logs, when I got to 17th August '19 there was a glued in copy of a Marriage Certificate. The groom on the main deck is Charles Marsh, First Writer R.N. of Alverstoke, Gosport and his bride coming down the companionway is Lucy Rosalie Rehmann born and resident in Reval (now Tallinn).
    The two ladies at the top of the companionway I believe to be Aline Rehmann, probably a sister and Katie Koch. The gentleman in the frockcoat I take to be Carl Rehmann possibly the bride's father. All three being witnesses along with a J. Thornback.
    They were married by Frederich Julius Irvine Chaplain R.N. at 11 a.m. on Sunday 17th August 1919. The Marriage Certificate is signed H.D. Dunbar-Rivers Lt. Cdr. R.N.

The Captain of the Ship was M. E. Nasmith V.C. R.N., Later Admiral Sir Martin Eric Dunbar-Nasmith VC, KCB, KCMG. As he appeared took the Dunbar later I have a feeling he may well have married into the family of one of his officers.

All in all a surprising result
    Attached Files

Last edited by Rick Research; 10-23-2004, 10:32 PM.

Comment

EXCELLENT WORK , best wishes ,Michael.

Comment

Well done, Jim!

Comment

Thanks very much,however I must emphasise that this was a total bonus and not what I was looking for. Just a remarkable coincidental find.

Comment

What a coincidence

I have the same photograph!

Comment

Brian sent me this link -

http://www.btinternet.com/~initiativ...genealogy.html

That's his grandfather in the photo!!!!!!

Comment

Ahoy there HMS Lucia

It would be interesting if there were any other family members of crew of these ships who have oral histories that they could share. There was quite a large Royal naval presence in the Gulf of Finland. I seem to recall a television programme about the attack on the Russian fleet tied up in Kronshtadt.
                The Estonian Maritime Museum documented on tape the underwater archaeology of HMS Myrtle. Some other major ships were lost in the Baltic.
                Would there be any genealogists or family historians from any of the named families?

Comment

From my very incomplete notes HMS Cleopatra, Valorous, Vanessa, Vivacious and Galatea were there as well as a lot of subs inc. L55. Also present were many USN ships and French ships. I'm sure many others were there before the Lucia arrived and are not noted in her log.

Comment

HMS Lucia; Sailor Weds in Reval, Estonia

Charles Marsh was my grandfather, too, and I have the original, somewhat tattered marriage certificate. The Maritime Museum in Tallinn (formerly Reval) says the British ships were actually taking part in the Baltic War of Independence, not the Russian Revolution, thoughthey were obviously closely related.

Comment

Originally posted by jmdunblane
                      Charles Marsh was my grandfather, too, and I have the original, somewhat tattered marriage certificate. The Maritime Museum in Tallinn (formerly Reval) says the British ships were actually taking part in the Baltic War of Independence, not the Russian Revolution, thoughthey were obviously closely related.
                      Amazing to find yet another grandson. The notes I have state that Lucia was there to cover the withdrawal of Allied and Commonwealth Forces. These I take to be the Intervention Force. Certainly a confused period of history.

Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X