Interesting Belt Buckle, Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Belt Buckle, Opinions?

Someone in my area sent me this photo of belt buckle that was purchased with contents of a storage unit,,,I never have this luck, supposedly also has medal grouping which I havent seen. Ive asked for details on what is on banners and markings on buckles reverse. What is this buckle please, hes stating

"I am thinking that this buckle cover comes from the Battle Of Kabul"
    "Leading up to the Treaty of Gandamak Dated between 1879-1880"
    Attached Files

Buckle and Medals

Medals and hat insignia from same Storage grouping. Any treasures here guys?
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

18th Bengal Lancers ??????

Comment

18th King George's Own Lancers

The regiment was raised at Gwalior during the upheaval of the Indian Mutiny in 1858, as the 2nd Regiment of Mahratta Horse. In December, it was joined by a small body of independent cavalry of Punjabi Muslims called the Tiwana Horse. In 1861, it was redesignated as the 18th Regiment of Bengal Cavalry, becoming Lancers in 1886. The regiment served in the Second Afghan War during 1879-80 and took part in the 1897 Tirah Campaign on the North West Frontier of India. During World War I, the regiment was sent to France in 1914 with the Indian Cavalry Corps and participated in the Battles of the Somme and Cambrai. In 1918, it moved to Egypt joining the 13th Cavalry Brigade and took part in General Allenby's brilliant campaign in Palestine. The regiment fought in the Battle of Megiddo and the subsequent dash towards Damascus - riding 550 miles in 38 days!

1861 18th Regiment of Bengal Cavalry
            18th King George's Own Lancers near Mamemtz during the Battle of the Somme, 15 July 1916.
            1886 18th Regiment of Bengal Lancers
            1901 18th Bengal Lancers
            1903 18th Tiwana Lancers
            1906 18th Prince of Wales's Own Tiwana Lancers
            1910 18th King George's Own Lancers

Jerry

Comment

Buckle

Thank you very much, totally out of my area

Comment

I believe the 18th Bengal Lancers item is actually an officer's shoulder belt pouch cover, not a belt buckle.
                A rare item, nonetheless, and likely pre-1914. The regiment was amalgamted with the 19th ( Fane's) Bengal Lancers in 1922.
                Items from Indian Cavalry regiments are quite scarce.

Bob Shoaf
                Last edited by Robert Shoaf; 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I also would go for a Cross Belt Pouch Plate and also for 18th King George's Own Lancers.

Comment

I agree with Robert a shoulder pouch and its very nice . You would have to tell us the naming details on the WW1 medals to get an idea of value . Rob
                    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

medals

I'd be curious to see if those medals are someones trio ( Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal), and someones pair (BWM, Victory Medal). It's quite possible. Have your friend check the names on the rim, and the reverse of the star.

Comment

Buckle grouping

Ive asked him for that information, hopefully he will respond.

Comment

Medals

Here is his response, I will post breakdown on medals if any tie into the cover/buckle

Two are
                          64618 Pte J . Milburn North D Fus

One
                          Ch. 16790 Pte W.A. Ratcliffe R.M.L.I.

One
                          9643 Pte. H.J. Footitt K R RIF.C

One
                          5551 Pte. J. Ford K.O. SCO .BORDI

Comment

64618 J. Milburn

From Medal Index Card:
                            Name: John Milburn
                            Regiment or Corps: Northumberland Fusiliers, York and Lancaster Regiment
                            Regimental Number: 64618, 57652

He doesn't show up as a casualty on CWGC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X