• Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF wings.

PLease, I need information about this wings ,they are made in silver

marks: tlm ,,and Sterling ,thanks.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by dornier; 05-03-2013, 02:32 PM.

The "wings" are in fact a "sweetheart brooch" i.e. a brooch privately purchased either by or for loved ones to wear and show their support for someone serving in the RAF. The fact that they are in the shape of a pilots flying brevet does not mean a pilot or his family owned them - the design was generic for anyone associated with the RAF.

It is made of sterling silver and there are many different styles and designs made. The most prolific era for these was WW2, which is where this one is most likely from, certainly pre-1952 (Tudor Crown design), however they are still made and purchaseable today although less common/popular. TLM will be the makers initials, quite likely a jeweller.

Value-wise. Up to £20 would be possible but unlikely to fetch much more and I would suggest £10-15 is probably about right.

Such brooches vary hugely in quality from the exquisite to the rough and ready. It is also not uncommon to find similar types of brooches designed around army regimental cap badges.

Comment

Originally posted by skypilot View Post
      The "wings" are in fact a "sweetheart brooch" i.e. a brooch privately purchased either by or for loved ones to wear and show their support for someone serving in the RAF. The fact that they are in the shape of a pilots flying brevet does not mean a pilot or his family owned them - the design was generic for anyone associated with the RAF.

It is made of sterling silver and there are many different styles and designs made. The most prolific era for these was WW2, which is where this one is most likely from, certainly pre-1952 (Tudor Crown design), however they are still made and purchaseable today although less common/popular. TLM will be the makers initials, quite likely a jeweller.

Value-wise. Up to £20 would be possible but unlikely to fetch much more and I would suggest £10-15 is probably about right.

Such brooches vary hugely in quality from the exquisite to the rough and ready. It is also not uncommon to find similar types of brooches designed around army regimental cap badges.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X