Dutch Exile (UK-Aussi) Naval Aviator uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch Exile (UK-Aussi) Naval Aviator uniform

My latest score is a Dutch Exile (UK-Aussi) Naval Aviaton officer's uniform.
    The Naval reefer double breasted officer's coat + matching vest are both Australian Tailored, from the same Sydney tailor with Dutch Naval Aviation collar insignia consisting of a bullion Royal crown + engine/propellor for aviation branch.
    Attached Files

The Dutch exile forces Naval cap was tailored in London (found seperately) and has matching Naval aviation insignia.
    Attached Files

Comment

This Sydney tailor tags appears in both the reefer jacket and in the vest. Unfortunately no name appears in any of these garments.
      The Dutch Naval Avation wing is "Toye" marked, a London based manufacturer.
      So all the components were made in commonwealth countries which explains why I listed this here in the commonwealth section.
      Attached Files

Comment

For exile forces obtaining the right (replacement) components was not always an easy task and the uniform has a mix of Australian Naval and Dutch Naval buttons...and even 1 Kriegsmarine button for some reason! An interesting mix
        Attached Files
        Last edited by NickG; 05-02-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

The mix of buttons...not too surprizing since it is an exile tunic.
          I read once that a Dutch Aviator based in the States for training had lost his cap device (stolen off of his cap) while attending a party and offered 1 month salary as reward money to get the insignia back (with no questions asked). Not sure if he succeeded but it illustrates how exile troops had to cope with such issues...
          Attached Files

Comment

Last set which shows tha coat tag (matching thes vest). Hope you enjoyed my presentation! (this is my 4th Dutch Exile uniform)
            Now I need to find a pair of Australian officer pattern Naval pants !! (any ideas?)
            Attached Files

Comment

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Comment

Very nice catch Nick well done

Comment

Excellent catch Nick, thanks for showing!

Luc

Comment

Nick, I recall the airforce tunic you posted, which I'm still definitely in love with, but perhaps you could show the other two Dutch exile uniforms?

Comment

Originally posted by LuftMike View Post
                      Nick, I recall the airforce tunic you posted, which I'm still definitely in love with, but perhaps you could show the other two Dutch exile uniforms?
                      The first one is Australian tailored and 1943 dated!
                      Attached Files

Comment

and a US tailored one , missing rank stars (1944) and a Canadian tailored one (1943),
                        the entire exile collection shown now in this thread!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by NickG; 05-03-2013, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks Nick, those are great! The Canadian Observer tunic is by far my favourite!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X