VirtualGrenadier

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

victorian collar thingy!! what unit though??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

victorian collar thingy!! what unit though??

picked up this collar insaignia a while bck and i was told it was ground dug but i just dont know! anyway can anyone tell me what unit it from and maybe what year??thanks!!
    front
    Attached Files

and of course the back!thanks for any info!!!
    Attached Files

Comment

If I remember correctly this is the collar badge for the Lincolnshire Regiment.

I'm sure Jim or Leigh will know more about this than I do.

Comment

cool thanks for that! oh and the brass thing on the back that goes into the lugs is abit i got off a friend!
        but thanks again!

Comment

Probably the commonest collar badge in the army, the sphinx above Egypt was worn by quite a few regiments. Unfortunately yours is lacking part of the tail which is very useful in identifying the regiment. To me it most closely resembles the Goucestershire regiment.

Comment

ha ha that would be right! anyway no bother thanks for that!

Comment

There was a whole range of different sphinx's, male, female, different tails, different metals even within the same regiment, I'd need to work on this one.

Comment

The headress does'nt go down over the chest, as it does on the Lincs. sphinx.
                With its short headress, turned up tail & impressive chest it resembles those worn on the cap badges of the South Wales Borderers, The Gloucestershire Regt, The Black Watch, The Lancs Fusiliers, The East Lancs & The RGBW Regt.

I know naff all about collar dogs, I'd say Glosters, Black Watch, East Lancs or Lancs Fus, depending on who wore a sphinx collar dog & whether it had the EGYPT tablet underneath.
                So I'd guess Glosters or Black Watch.
                I don't know what I'm talking about, so my shot in the dark would be Glosters on this one.
                Last edited by leigh kitchen; 10-02-2004, 05:34 AM.

Comment

oops forgot to looks this thread up again! thanks for the help! any info is always great!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X