RAF helmet gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF helmet gear

Looking for some input on what exactly is here. I'm pretty sure the goggles are MkVIII. It's missing the snaps on the right side that hold the mask to the helmet and I'm wondering if the snaps on the left side are correct for a cloth helmet (or does that not make any difference?) Were Type C helmets made of cloth, like this one, or were the only leather? I noticed the left earpiece is in backwards.
    Attached Files

More pics...
    Attached Files

Comment

Few more...
      Attached Files

Comment

Close ups...
        Attached Files

Comment

Last one...
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Carl
            You have a Type-D tropicle flying helmet. The construction is based on the of the Type-C appart from the obvious fact that it is made from a heavy cotton fabric instead of leather & has the addition of a neck flap to protect the wearers neck from sun burn. It will likely have a silk liner as opposed to a chamois liner as well. Largely used by the RAF & Commonwealth pilots serving in the Mediteranean during WW2.

Goggles are MkVIIIs & the mask is a Type-G oxygen mask which has a few minor items missing.

A nice rig, especially if it has been together since the war.

Cheers
            Mike

Comment

The helmet appears to be the later version with the internal tunnels for the mic and earphone wires to run through. The chinstrap should be a grey, elastic material with a snap. Probably long gone but there should be a purple ink stamp on the neck flap with the stores reference number.

The mask was normally attached with snaps on one side and a metal U was snapped on the other. The "U" was designed to allow the mask to be easily put on/off via a corresponding metal hook on the end of the elastic strap on the mask. The hook was usually on the wearer's right.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike39 View Post
                Hi Carl
                You have a Type-D tropicle flying helmet. The construction is based on the of the Type-C appart from the obvious fact that it is made from a heavy cotton fabric instead of leather & has the addition of a neck flap to protect the wearers neck from sun burn. It will likely have a silk liner as opposed to a chamois liner as well. Largely used by the RAF & Commonwealth pilots serving in the Mediteranean during WW2.

Goggles are MkVIIIs & the mask is a Type-G oxygen mask which has a few minor items missing.

A nice rig, especially if it has been together since the war.

Cheers
                Mike

Mike is spot on in his description with the exception of the mask it is a type H mask ... these were introduced very late in the war and wartime dated ones are in fact quite hard to come by these days.... although I could be wrong I think this one is post war ? there will be a series of numbers on the side of the mask right beside the microphone ... something that looks similar to 5/46 this gives you the month and year of manufacture.
                a nice little setup and well worth picking up the small bits it needs to complete the set.

cheers

Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X