JR. on WAF - medamilitaria@gmail.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commando Dagger Number 8 arrow with batch number 4 - opinions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commando Dagger Number 8 arrow with batch number 4 - opinions ?

Hello;

I have been offered another dagger after declining the first (thanks for your help on identifying a post war knife). Thought it best to make a new post...

This dagger is stamped ENGLAND on the thick cross-guard with a broad arrow and number 8 stamped on the handle.

I am lead to believe that the arrow and number 8 indicates it is military issue.

The pommel also has a number 4 batch mark.

Attached is an image. Unfortunately the vender has provided me only two images.

What are your opinions on this dagger ?

Thank you again, WilloW
    Attached Files

War time made, but army surplus. and sold abroad after the war, hence the England stamp.
    I think all to America.
    No sure about the 8, but the 4 mark is the handle mould number.
    Pete

Comment

Thank you.

From what I have read the board arrow mark signifies that the knife has passed British military ownership or inspection and has meet the Government requirements and been ingested into the military system. The 8 signifies the Government's inspector's stamp (they were alpha coded), and the number 4 on the pommel indicates this knife is a third pattern knife.

The stamp England I also have heard was placed on daggers that were sold to the US after the war by the British Government. Apparently it was a US law that the place origin be stamped on any surplus material entering the US.

My query is whether this knife was issued because of the number 8 and arrow mark ??

Either way, the knife is WW2 period knife, although whether it has been issued is debatable. The value is minimized somewhat by the England stamp.

Just my thoughts. Anyone else care to comment?

Cheers, WilloW

Comment

The number on the handle is as I said. My Aunt used to make these handles
        (at Wolverhampton die castings) and bought home some for me to play with (60+ years ago) they numbered 1 to 4.
        Pete

Comment

Fascinating @Wood - and interesting to know. Cheers, WilloW

Comment

What are the leather tabs on the sheath for?

Comment

Willow,
              Your research of the knife and it's markings is spot on.

Pzrwest,
              The tabs were there so that the sheath could be sewn
              directly onto pant leg or sleeve or what ever.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X