Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF B Type flying helmet, Frank Bryan

Hallo,

I'd like to know if Frank Bryan B type RAF flying helmets had inner labels machine stiched or handstiched.. in particular 1938-39 dated examples.

Recentely I've seen some examples, and all are handstiched.

Handstiched labels might be considered also original period applyed or only a modern stiching?

Thank you all!

Comment

Hi Argan
      I'd recommend getting Mick Prodgers book "Vintage Flying Helmets". As I recall, there's a section in the book about labels and manufacturers on Type B's.
      I have several examples, one being a Frank Bryan made in 1940, but dont have them close to hand to check the detail you require although I beleave its machine stitched.
      Also get intouch with Dave Farnsworth from "The Historic Flying Clothing Co" and Ian Wilson from "Bombphoons". Both have had many examples through there hands over the years and should be able to shed some light on the info you require.

Cheers
      Mike

Comment

hi Mike!

thank you very much for your reply.

I know well mr Farnsworth, and I consider him a very good serious person with a very interesting website. I know he has many flying helmets, and we had a talk about the machine stiching or hand stiching in B Type helmets: his opinion is that in his experience quite all F.Bryan helmets have hand stiched label, expecially in 1938-39 date. But he also couldn't be 100% sure.

You have right about Prodger's book: I will have surely a look at it! thank you for remind it to me..!

Have a nice day!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X