South African Korean War pair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South African Korean War pair question

Recently acquired this SA Korean War pair. The UN Korea is the standard english language version. Both the medals are edge named in impressed block letters P5269 V M F PREVOST. My question would be what is the meaning the letter P preceeding the man's service number ?

Garth
    Attached Files

Hi Garth,
    I did a little bit of web surfing to try to find an answer for you and the best i can come up with is,that the "P" in front of the service number could stand for,Permanent Force,which consisted of all the full-time volunteers, volunteers of auxiliaries and national servicemen.
    Hope this helps
    Mick

Comment

Originally posted by 2/31st View Post
      Hi Garth,
      I did a little bit of web surfing to try to find an answer for you and the best i can come up with is,that the "P" in front of the service number could stand for,Permanent Force,which consisted of all the full-time volunteers, volunteers of auxiliaries and national servicemen.
      Hope this helps
      Mick
      Mick,
      Thanks for taking the time to do the searching and make a reply.
      Garth

Comment

I had run across a similar prefix once on a Canadian Korean group. If I remember correctly it could represent this person had previous service possibly in WW2. While the "P" does not stand for previous but that commonwealth serial numbers went through a change between the wars and it still belonged to this individual. This showing that this individual had been issued this number in the recent past and it was still in use during the Korean war.

Hope that makes sense?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X