X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value of WW1 Brit Dist. Conduct medal and WW1 Serv. Medal

Acquired nice engravred WW1 service medal and WW1 Dist. Conduct
    medal at estate sale locally. Both definitely original, full size, but
    DSC engraving has been worn down or buffed to almost illegible.
    What is fm value of the pair at present? Both in full silver mounts with
    full ribbon an both solid silver.
    Likely belonged to same Brit soldier, engraved WSM to PTE. A. Williams, Ches, R.

the best thing you can co is ask dnw for a free valuation - http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/resources/valuations.lasso

a search of their prevous auction sales show that ww1 distinguished conduct medal pairs can sell for £500-700+ (but it all depends on condition of the medals & research etc)

Comment

Post some pictures if you can, if the medal is in NVF or Fine condition it will be hard to sell. Can you tell us the service number from each medal?

A DCM to a standard line regiment with a good fighting citation is around £850 to £950 non casualty. Pals obviously more, casualty more. There are a lot of of factors that determine the value of British Medals.

Cheers Adam

Comment

There was no A. Williams awarded a DCM with the Cheshires, however there was a Williams, J and Williams, W.

If this is the initial on the DCM then there is a problem.........unless the DCM is named to another unit.

The Williams citations I have seen in my opinion dont seem all that exciting........with all due respect to the men who won them in some desperate fighting. The DCM is a leadership award, the officer is killed and this man then leads an attack. Most DCM's have this theme.

There are some Cheshire collectors who might want the medal assuming it is not renamed, or erased. Over polishing by the recipient wouldnt really be a problem.

...............oh and British WW1 medals are always IMPRESSED....if they are engraved like some of your American medals then you have a second problem.
        Last edited by yellow; 04-23-2013, 06:07 AM.

Comment

pics

if someone would post pics for me, would be glad to email them.
          pls email me at bvwphdcj@aol.com

Comment

both are impressed, not engraved- they are 100% original

Comment

Originally posted by drbill View Post
              if someone would post pics for me, would be glad to email them.
              pls email me at bvwphdcj@aol.com
              email sent

Comment

both medals are in very good plus condition showing only tarnishing to silver and slight fading to ribbons, pics will be posted

Selling if anyone interested?

Comment

Comment

Funny looking DCM ? Its all wrong . Hope you did not pay too much .Rob
                    Last edited by ROBB; 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM.
                    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

all I can tell you is that these medals were mounted in a case with
                      US and French WWI and WW2 medals and all were awarded to a GGF
                      and 2 uncles. The medals were mounted in the case in 1940's and had
                      been in attic ever since. Don't know how it could be fake and no I don't have much in them, just trying to find out values.

Comment

If DC medal is bad, is other one good and what is it worth? the War Service medal that's engraved.

Comment

I'm currently on my phone, so cant see the pictures very well. What i can see is the suspender on the dcm is wrong.

Could you tell us the exact naming on each medal?

Thanks Adam

Comment

DCM is buffed on bottom. name is indecipherable, WSM is engraved
                            as follows 23263 PTE A. Williams, Ches R

Comment

nothing on his medal card mentions a DCM!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X