Boer War pair with bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boer War pair with bar

Hi all. Been asked by a colleague in work to research his great, great grandfathers Boer War medals of which I attached some pictures. This is an area that I have no knowledge whatsoever and call on the WAF community to help me help him. Both the medals are engraved as follows

" PC AMY AB HMS TERPSICHORE"

And the second medal has the bar

"JUBALAND"

I don't know if these are long service or campaign medals (although I assume the second one is with the bar) and wonder whether anyone can firstly identify the medals and secondly give any history of the ship and any actions/involvement it was in. Although these medals are not for sale (as family heirlooms) and indication of retail value (for insurance purposes) would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your endevours.

Regards as always

Paul

Having trouble loading pics - hopefully will follow soon.

Comment

Hello,

PM me with details and I may be able to help

Comment

Got it
        Attached Files

Comment

haha I would gladly buy those if for sale, wonderful set

Comment

lovely pair

It's a nice Royal Navy pair: Queens South Africa Medal (no bar)/Africa General Service Medal (Jubaland) for operations against the Ogaden Somalis Oct 16, 1900-April 30, 1901.

Comment

Could you post a picture of the Africa naming please?

Cheers Adam

Comment

Philip C Amy born Grouville, Jersey, Channel Islands. Served 1900 to 1910 entitled to Queens South Africa with clasps Cape Colony and South Africa 1901. So the medal is missing the bars, does it look as if the bars have been removed?

Roll confirms entitlement to the Africa General Service Medal with Jubaland bar.

Issues with the medals, bar's missing from the Queens South Africa, ever added? removed? 273 Queens South Africa Medal awarded to this ship, 136 without clasps

It may just be the angle of the scan/ picture but the rim of the Africa medal looks rather thin on the right hand side. Pictures would be good.

Cheers Adam
                Last edited by A H; 04-16-2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Fantastic information gentlemen - I'm in your debt - nothing wrong with rims just angle of photo - there is some fraying on the Queens South Africa bar ribbon close to the medal itself so it looks like the clasps were fitted but have been lost to history (a pity for the family) - do you know what action the crew were involved in?

Comment

These medals did not have clasps of their own they where meant to go on a ribbon bar !! as they are !! Also this is a very good find Boer war medals are very valuable and hard to find !! Also the condition is very good ! i wouldn't mind getting to pick a grouping like this up!!

Comment

Originally posted by ww2relichunter View Post
                      These medals did not have clasps of their own they where meant to go on a ribbon bar !! as they are !! Also this is a very good find Boer war medals are very valuable and hard to find !! Also the condition is very good ! i wouldn't mind getting to pick a grouping like this up!!
                      Wrong........................................ bars were attached see picture of a boer war medal from my collection. If the bars are loose on the ribbon as long as not tailors copies and the entitlement is correct some people can live with that. Sometimes the bars were not attached, but personally I wouldn’t buy a QSA with loose bars.

The group is incomplete sadly and as such the value is effected, which doesn’t matter as the medals are never going to be for sale. The bars could be added professionally.

Wehrpasswilly - Your friends Granfather may never have been issued with the bars, which is another possiblity

QSA clasps.jpg
                      Last edited by A H; 04-17-2013, 05:25 AM.

Comment

As can be seen in the picture below, the bars are riveted together, sometimes not all the rivets are identical and in some case are connected by metal wire. Again if the man is entitled to the bars in question not a major issue.

QSA clasps.jpg
                        Last edited by A H; 04-17-2013, 05:26 AM.

Comment

A lovely pair , who cares about the bars probably could not be bothered to put them on . If he wants to sell them whack them on ebay . Then let us know .Rob
                          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

There were 310 Queen's South Africa Medals issued to HMS Terpsichore.
                            144 on those had the 'Cape Colony' and "South Africa 1901" bars. All were awarded for the period 9 March, 1901 - 31st May, 1902. Most of the naval QSAs were issued to gun crews who had brought cannon ashore and were organized into naval brigades to support the Army.

The Africa General Service Medal had 22 bars. "Jubaland' was issued for service between 16th November, 1900 and 30th April, 1901. About 600 of this bar were issued, which 39 Terpsichores earned.

Very nice pair! You should be able to get his records from the PRO too.

Comment

It is more common than you think to find lose QSA bars........there's nothing wrong with lose QSA bars, or even missing bars.

Some bars were issued seperately, after the medal. Particulary the date bars to the army.

This group should be left as it is, in my opinion.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X