Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British WW1 Somme document

The inked details can be read, with difficulty, in good light. They are:

No. 2597 Pte. A. Parfitt 12th (S) Bn Middlesex Regt on 4th to 17th July 1916 During the Battle of the Somme.

Is this a normal award, given on heavy parchment?

robert sowada
    Attached Files

interesting

I've never seen one of these before.

Comment

Document

It doesn't look right to me. I have handled a few of these and they are usually much more ornate. They were unit based awards, designed and awarded by a commander. They may be connected to an official award, but were often only a personal acknowledgement that would not involve the actual award of a decoration. They are usually well made, with a regimental crest or pre-printed information.

I would question it because it does not look very professional and the quality of materials is poor.

This is only my opinion based on my own experience. I do not have any concrete proof that it is a fake.

Comment

I agree that it doesn't look right for an original, official issue, MID certificate but perhaps not an outright fake. I can easily imagine the owner, or a friend or relative, re-writing the original onto something they felt was more in keeping with the importance of the award.

Just my tuppence worth.

Comment

source

thanks for the input.
          i purchased this abt 20 years ago in edinburgh, at a large antique fair. it was in an obviously old frame, under glass, and it had been preserved by the owner.
          british militaria is not my field, but i am satisfied that it is period, and it makes a nice addition to my britannic oddments.
          robert sowada

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X