Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named canadian tunics

Hi to all,

I have some named Canadian tunics in my collection. Some have the name and number, others only the family name,...
    Before opening my museum I would like to know some history of these men.

Is it possible to get information in Canadian archives? Or is the privacy law in Canada forbidding this?

Can somebody on the forum help me with this? Or give me a website or adress of Canadian Military Archives?

Thanks in advance!

Brecht

WWII names are not yet available from the National Library and Archives of Canada due, as you guessed, to privacy laws. Unless you can prove a family connection, the LAC will not release info. Also, due to recent staff cuts, you might wait months or years even if you were eligible to get the info. The only exception are for those who died during the war and you can get the same info. from the Commonwealth War Graves site.

There is a database called "Faces of War", which is photographs of WWI soldiers. You can search that database by name of man or unit, date, location etc. and might get lucky

On the other hand, WWI records are available on line - enlistment papers and war diaries of each CEF battalion - or to order, in the case of medical or court martial records. Again, the wait is likely to be very lengthy for those records. You might also consider contacting regimental associations or looking for regimental histories for untis you have tunics to.

Here is the link to the Military & Peacekeeping section of the Archives: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/m...e/index-e.html

Good luck!
    Peter

Comment

Many thanks Peter! That is good, usefull information! I'll try to contact some regimental associations and the Archives.

Comment

You're very welcome. I like your web site, though I have no Dutch. The Machine pistol and helmet are particularly nice!

Peter

Comment

Researching Canadian named tunics

If you post the information here, readers may be able to help.

Do say what insignia is on a tunic, the man's name and rank and his regimental number. Thus IF it was a Seaforth Highlanders of Canada tunic for example, then I could check my copy of the nominal roll in the regimental history and confirm his identity from the regimental number. Likewise with other regiments, other readers will have access to some of the nomional rolls. Not all such nominal rolls have the regimental number listed.

The first letter in a WWII Canadian Regimental Number tells you the area where the man joined up. That is a clue, but later as reinfocrements were in short supply, people could be assigned to units that were raised thousdands of miles from where they joined up.

Colin

Originally posted by Rogerd View Post
          Hi to all,

I have some named Canadian tunics in my collection. Some have the name and number, others only the family name,...
          Before opening my museum I would like to know some history of these men.

Is it possible to get information in Canadian archives? Or is the privacy law in Canada forbidding this?

Can somebody on the forum help me with this? Or give me a website or adress of Canadian Military Archives?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

If you can properly identify the individual, through name, service number and regiment, information is available.
            The file will be redacted unless you can provide evidence that the individual has been deceased for 20+ years.
            You will need a researcher...if you wish to proceed further, PM me and I will provide a contact for you.
            I have used this individual over a dozen times and have been completely satisfied.
            He will even search obituaries and Last Post listings from the Royal Canadian Legion.
            I had two that were proverbial needles in haystacks and he nailed them.
            R

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X