ww2 Canadian helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ww2 Canadian helmet

Gents; I have been offered a 1942 dated Canadian helmet, and it appears to be repainted the glossier green, and has the wider, greener chinstrap. I assume this is a post war remake for the army, but my questions are; when did they do these refits, and also, is the original paint under the repaint, or was it stripped before repainting? Curious, as i can get it very cheap, so I may play with trying to strip the post ww2 paint.

Does anyone know anything about these refurbished helmets? I believe the were refurbished during the Korean War era?

Comment

Can you post pics of this helmet? As for trying to strip the post war paint you run a risk of also damaging the underlying paint if in fact it was re-painted

Comment

if its cheap its worth it for the nut and liner, you can always get a nicer shell they are about, the elastic chin strap came out in 41, canadian chin straps are about too

Comment

I've played with stripping the gloss paint from these helmets in the past and all the helmets I worked on did have the original paint underneath the gloss paint. Problem is that the quality of the original paint can vary quite a bit so you never know what you will end up with. Also, stripping the gloss paint can be very tricky and the results are unpredictable. Not to mention that the gloss paint was officially applied and is a legitimate part of the history of the helmet.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X