Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British officer photo..or is it?

what do you guys make of this?

The photo was taken in North Norway in 1940..looks like a British captain..but i'm not sure..could be a German 'dressing up' for an exercise.

he doesn't seem to have anything on under his jacket, he has no belt and that capbadge seems too small and too high.
    Attached Files
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Whole thing looks odd to me.

An officer's service dress jacket, scolloped pockets suggest cavalry or perhaps guards and the cap badge could be a guards cap star but the shape of the cap is all wrong for a guards officer IMO. The hat is much too high and as has been said the badge is too high too.

Of course he could have just woken up and pulled on his jacket to keep out the cold while he went for a wash which would explain the lack of shirt and tie.

James
    Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
    Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
    Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Comment

Scots Guards, buttons in 3s, small officers cap star.

Marc

Comment

the whole photo might give some more clues . Rob
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

No pleats and slash lower pockets suggest post mid 42 if it is an SD tunic, of the austerity pattern, whilst all my SD tunics (RA, RSigs, RFusiliers & RWelch Fusiliers) have scalloped pockets so I am not sure why that would be seen as a sign that it is cavalry.

Agree with Robb that showing all the picture might help.

Jerry

Comment

I don't have the whole pic but he is standing by a 40mm Bofors AA gun, of which may were left behind by the Brits. Looking at the background, it looks like there are leaves on the trees and it's clearly not winter. The allies had evacuated Norway by the first week in June and that far north, the leaves are not yet on the trees.

The idea of the Scots guards could be right as 1 SG were in North Norway in 1940 as part of the 24th Guards Brigade.

Might the cap be an ORs cap?
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Almost certainly German playing dress up with kit left by the Brits, I got these two pics this morning.

the fourth word at the top is Mo, a town in north Norway where the Scots and Irish guards were for a short time in May 1940

the photo has German text on the back and comes from a German album and other photos

here's a couple more

http://www.ebay.de/itm/2-x-FOTO-NORW...item5654d8f791
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X