Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8th Army patch

Hi
    This is being offered and with it not being my strong point, could I ask for opinions on it being a war-time piece.

Many Thanks

Lee
    Attached Files

Actually, I think this is 7th Armoured

May be wrong though!

Lee

Comment

7th Armd Div, late & post war German made.

Marc

Comment

yep 7 Armoured Div - desert rats
        nice post war German BeVo weave
        Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
        Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
        Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Comment

Agree, post war German made 7th Armoured div patch, I have 3 of these and 5 of the wartime embroidered version and one of the late war Dutch made Brabant version.

Jerry

Comment

Proof

Is there proof that his type of patch was made in Germany "after" the war? In comparison to BeVo Italian made patches "during" the war, this resembles in my opinion, the Italian made examples more. Some of these were made by tapestry companies. I say that because of the style of BeVo weave and the trait of the looped bound edges. I had a set of these and a set of BeVo Pegasus that I was told were made in Italy. In comparing them to some of the "known" Italian made US unit patches, they match some of them identically. Anyway just thought I would mention that. The 7th did fight in Italy.

Ken

Originally posted by Bond View Post
            Agree, post war German made 7th Armoured div patch, I have 3 of these and 5 of the wartime embroidered version and one of the late war Dutch made Brabant version.

Jerry

Comment

The 7th were only in Italy very early in the campaign before being sent home in advance of DDay and the black backed rat/jerboa was never issued to them until after their return to the UK.

Jerry

Comment

The 7th were only in Italy very early in the campaign before being sent home in advance of DDay and the black backed rat/jerboa was never issued to them until after their return to the UK.

Jerry
                They could still have had them made in Italy and took them back with them for later use.

My note also has that the Italian badges were always backed.

Marc
                Last edited by Marc Sherriff; 04-13-2013, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Backing

Hi Marc

These patches are usually backed. The ones I have had have a charcoal grey material on the back. Now I am not saying these ARE Italian made, I was just wondering if there is any proof they are not. The Pegasus patches that are made in identical fashion also have a backing but again, they too were only in Italy a short time and were obviously also in Germany. The main similarity between these patches and the majority of the bevo Italian made patches is the looped binding of the backing to the face of the patch. It matches known patches made for the US and other British army patches in Italy. Not all bevo Italian made patches are made the same way but most have this similar binding. There was a post some time ago where a member included examples of known Italian made bevo patches

I just asked because these patches usually go fairly cheap and I could never understand that. If they are Italian made, I would have thought they would be worth more than 10-15 pds.

Ken

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                  They could still have had them made in Italy and took them back with them for later use.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post

Marc
                    Except the 2nd pattern design did not exist before they went back to the UK, so they could not have been made in Italy at that time. The version shown were first made and issued in Germany in 1948, the embroidered versions were first issued in late 1943 and the Dutch version in late 1944.

Comment

Except the 2nd pattern design did not exist before they went back to the UK, so they could not have been made in Italy at that time. The version shown were first made and issued in Germany in 1948, the embroidered versions were first issued in late 1943 and the Dutch version in late 1944.

That leaves the 2 versions of silk woven badges do you have dates for them. Although possibly down to a Brigade by then.

Marc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X