Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Canadian officers cap

Hello

I bought this cap at a antique shop and it was marked as a WW1 cap. I could not find a good example of it on any web site so I thought it might be a WW2 cap but I just saw a WW1 artillery cap sell on Ebay and it was the same style of cap. I looked up the man up to see if he was in the CEF but could not find him that is one of the reasons I thought it was WW2. When I bought the cap there was a loose dental cap badge on it. If it is a true WW1 cap I will start looking for a chin strap and buttons to restore the cap. Please let me know what you think.

thank you
    Kevin
    Attached Files

pic 3 & 4
    Attached Files

Comment

pics 5 & 6
      Attached Files

Comment

pic 7
        Attached Files

Comment

I can't read what the label says - the maker's one. Can you post that info.? It would help.

You should know that there were three patterns of peaked cap worn in WWI by Cdns and by all ranks, not just officers. Two of them were the same as the British pattern and there was a 1905 pattern Cdn field cap, which had a stiffened crown [wire insert] and a thin, sharp visor.

The commonest of the three seems to be a model which had horizontal lines of stitching, 4 or 5 I think, running around the hat between the crown and the peak. This one doesn't have that, which may or may not be significant.

Likewise, the badge it had may not mean much unless the green stain on the cap matches the badge, which would suggest it had been in the cap for a long time.

The fact that the man's name doesn't show up on the CEF rolls also suggests to me that he was WWII, not WWI. Antique stores very often mis-label stuff, out of genuine ignorance or because it will sell better. I'd do more research, if I were you, before I felt comfortable calling this WWI.

Comment

Cap

I would say the cap is between the wars, or World War Two.
            I seem to recall that WWI era caps did not have fabric on the underside.

The cap badge would also indicate WWII.

Comment

The cap construction looks later rather than earlier. With a CADC cap badge, it would likely be wartime, or post WW2. Peaked caps were also worn by other ranks post war. (Peter's observations are very good.)

Comment

I think Grizzly is right. Didn't WWI peaked caps have a green [smooth, possibly leather] underside to the peak. My gut feeling says "WWII or later".

Peter

Comment

WWI officer's caps are also found with a cloth underside to the visor, however IMO this is clearly a WWII or later cap.
                  I've collected Canadian for 35 years and have only seen this type of liner in WWII caps.
                  Additionally, here are two WWII caps by the same maker....
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thomas & Stone
                    Hat and Cap makers
                    108 Jermyn Street
                    St James's
                    London

Looks to me like a typical WW2 or post WW2 officers service dress cap. Correctly made private purchase for officers.

Done a quick search on Thomas & Stone but can't find them so I guess they were taken over or went out of business many years ago. I do know that they stopped making silk hats in 1956 so they were in business then.
                    Collecting NSDAP collar tabs
                    Kupuję medale i odznaki z Polskie sily Zbrojne Na Zachodzie 1939/47 - Polish Army in Exile badges
                    Seeking Soldbuch or any information relating to Dr. Werner Zwingelberg

Comment

As James says above, WWII or early post war.

CDC/RCDC is correct for this officer, his details reveal all and removes any need for speculation.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X