Canadian/British Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian/British Helmet

I have what I think is a WWII British helmet with a Canadian two color net and Canadian bandage. Clearly marked is II 1939 and clearly painted on the inside is CANADA and R.C. BARMAN. I think this maybe a Canadian Officers helmet. Any way of looking up this man? Sorry pictures would not be possible now.
    Thanks for any replies.
    Jerry

Hi Jerry,
    There is no online or electronic database for Canadian WWII servicemen and it's pretty much impossible to research this fellow without more information.
    If you knew the Regiment, it might be possible to determine his service number by having a researcher check any available nominal rolls.
    The service number would be required to locate the file at the National Archives.

Comment

Thanks Roy Its a question Ive been needing an answer to for a loong time.
      Jerry

Comment

Well if he was an officer and promoted or received a decoration or Mid., you might be able to find him (or her?) in either the London Gazette (http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/) or the Canadian Gazette (http://www.gazette.gc.ca/index-eng.html) bits of both are searchable.

and get his service number from that.

Can also search the CWGC http://www.cwgc.org/

This is where I usually start.

Comment

Seem you chap may have won the MM

There is an entry (in French) for R . C, Barman . on November 28 1942
          In the Canadian Gazette. Impossible for me to figure out what it was for? Looks like a MM entry but that would be a very odd time as we where seeing no action in 41 or 42?

Comment

Thank You!
            Jerry

Comment

What is the MM award?
              Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by jerryrehr View Post
                What is the MM award?
                Jerry
                The Military Medal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Medal

A Commonwealth bravery award for NCOs.

I have no other info on the person other than what I found in the online Gazette (government announcements)

All MID, decorations, officer promotions/appointment and foreign awards are announced there so it is always a good way to start when all you have is a name as if you can match it up with an entry you can usually get the Service#, regiment which will help if you have to get into the archives.

A WWII veteran will be hard to look up in the archives as there are still privacy issues and the files though not 'sealed' are just a pain to enter the paperwork to have a look at.

If he did get the MM then the citation will be available someplace in the archive but you have to have all the details to look it up.

If you can wait 5 or 10 years most of the records will be all open, I have rad the odd one over the years, mostly tedious entries the medical records even more so.

Don't expect much

Comment

Thanks.
                  Jerry

Comment

I cannot find a Canada Gazette entry for Barman, he cannot be found on the DND website for WWII medals (http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...-eng.asp#sr-rr) and he is not listed in the CD "Courage & Service". Are you sure he was decorated with the MM?

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
                      Seem you chap may have won the MM

There is an entry (in French) for R . C, Barman . on November 28 1942
                      In the Canadian Gazette. Impossible for me to figure out what it was for? Looks like a MM entry but that would be a very odd time as we where seeing no action in 41 or 42?

Not in Action in 42?? Ummm what about Dieppe? If the M.M. was gazetted in November, that would be about right for a Dieppe award.

Comment

Ignoring this specific soldier, MMs were routinely awarded to escapers/evaders also.
                        Clive

Comment

For some reason I am always putting operation Jubilee in 43 not 42. Sorry for that.

The gazette entry was in french and in very poor condition
                          http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...42&interval=20

page 99 and 116

the searchable gazette is part of collections Canada (Archives)

sorry if I lead you astray.

Comment

The Canada Gazette entries are for a Canadian Captain, Ross Carrington Barman. He was NOT awarded an MM! The entries show (in French) that he was in the "Corps des Magazins Militaires Royaux Canadiens" i.e., Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps and the abbreviation "MM" refers to Magasins Militaires.
                            This may be his helmet but he was not decorated. In fact, he appears to have spent most of his career with the Inspection Board of the UK and Canada.
                            Clive

Comment

Thanks Guys for the info. Too bad no MM but still a history that I will put with a very nice helmet.

Jerry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X