KOSB Belt Chape.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KOSB Belt Chape.

This is engraved with a design that includes "K O S B" & the King's Own Scottish Borderers pre-1881 regimental designation "XXV".
    It does'nt appear to be plated, perhaps it's silver, I'm not sure.
    It's presumably a fitting for the end of a cross strap or belt, it's got 2 little holes in it, one punched from th front, one from the rear, which seems a bit strange whether they're for pins to mount it on the belt or a couple of nails to mount it on a board for display.
    It's about 3" wide.
    does anybody know exactly what it is & from which period please?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

I think you are right about it being a cross belt chape.

The attached image is from Scottish Regiments and Uniforms 1660-1914 by A H Bowling. The most likely would be on the sword belt in fig. 6 (1771). The next sword belt fig. 9 doesn't seem right.

It also ties in with the Georgian style of engraving on belt buckles that I've got in Lyle's Arms and Armour Review. My vote goes for late 1700s, early 1800s.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, it didn't occur to me to look up the old Almark series.

A thought that's just occurred to me - when did the regiment become known as KOSB? I think that they were called the "King's Own Borderers" until some time after 1881?

Comment

Yes, you're right, it was 1891. Hard to believe from the style that it's after that date.

Comment

Perhaps a locally commisioned item whilst at a foreign station or whatever?

Comment

If you got to http://www.borderersmilitaria.co.uk/and click on 'information' there's an interesting picture of a piper in Cairo (he says, clutching at straws)

Comment

Ta, I've had a squint - I don't think that I'm going to get enough detail when I magnify it though.........

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X