help with British bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with British bayonet

Just got a bayonet I know most of the markings it was made in 1902 but on the wooden grip is N455 would this be number of rifle? Also seen on a site that if the scabbard is black its from navy and if brown its army is this true?? New to the British gear so any help would be great, thanks

You need to post a picture and some more information. If it was made in 1902 it is most likely a Pattern 1888 bayonet. You really haven't given enough information for anyone to give you an answer to your question.

Comment

no worries have just taking some now any info would be cool
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

the number on grip was what im not sure of
            Attached Files

Comment

Isn't this a Ross rifle bayonet?

Comment

Pattern 1888 Mark II Sword Bayonet

This bayonet is definitely a British Pattern 1888 Mark II bayonet. See pp. 170-171 "British & Commonwealth Bayonets" by Ian D. Skennerton & Robert Richardson.

It was made in 1902 and the Crown over ER is for Edward Rex (King Edward VII). The "X" is a bending mark (indicating the passing of proof - i.e. blade was bent a certain amount and had to return to true straightness).

The markings stamped into the wood - These are almost certainly unit identification "rack number" (i.e. rifle 123 goes in rifle rack slot # 123 etc.) Skenneton illustrates one on page 171 with 2 (cancelled out) 23 (rivet) 8. Most British & Canadian bayonets of the late 1800s and early 1900s seem to have had regimental markings stamped into the metal pommel.

The earlier Pattern 1888 Mark I bayonet had a hole inside the pommel to clear the cleaning rod, later called clearing rod and then the cleaning/clearing rods were ordered to be removed in 1898 as they were reportedly damaging the rifling during cleaning. The rivet near the pommel was able to be moved closer to the pommel on the Mk. II as clearance was not needed for the cleaning rod.

These bayonets were for the Lee-Enfield Mark I magazine rifle ("Long Lee") etc. but not the SMLE (later called No. 1 Mk. III) which used tyhe Pattern 1907 bayonet. I have a Canadian issue marked 1896 Lee-Enfield Mark I rifle and a Patt. 1888 Mark I bayonet for it - missing scabbard :-(

Colin

Originally posted by derrydingle View Post

Comment

Cheers colin

Comment

Lee

Lee Metford

http://www.militaryrifles.com/britain/metford.htm

Gary J.

Comment

Lee-Enfield not Lee-Metford

The Lee-Metford and Lee-Enfield rifles look basically the same except for markings and barrel rifling. Bayonets are P1888 and are interchangeable I believe BUT Lee Metford had the cleaning rod (as did early Lee-Enfields, and this bayonet is the Mark II which does not have the hole inside the pommel for the cleaning rod. To fit it on a Lee-Metford, one would have to remove the cleaning rod.

The Mark II status and late date makes this a Lee-Enfield bayonet.

Colin

Originally posted by Gary Jucha View Post

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X